Pubcos and breweries often impose a cider tie on their pubs. Usually this is the industrial cider Strongbow only, but you will sometimes find a more enlightened pub owner that provides its tenants/managers with better ciders.
Pub companies known to supply real cider
- Wetherspoon - national chain with stocking Westons oak conditioned bottles and bag-in-a-box Old Rosie or First Quality in most outlets.
- Adnams - Suffolk brewery, with a strong presence in neighbouring counties, now stocking Aspall (keg but much better than Strongbow/Blackthorn et al) as the standard cider in its pubs.
- Hook Norton Brewery - Oxfordshire brewery which supplies Westons Old Rosie (as well as Stowford Press and Strongbow) to those of its pubs where tenants choose to take it.
- Moles Brewery - South-West/Wessex area; supplies its own Black Rat cider, made by Thatchers.
- Tynemill - much-lauded East Midlands group, supplies ciders from Westons, Broadoak etc. (though some pubs take only Stowford Press).
- SA Brains, the Cardiff-based brewer, sells Gwynt y Ddraig.
- Punch Taverns, the largest pubco in Britain, offers a range of Thatchers bottles to its tenants: Katy, Cox's, Oak Matured and Gold (source). Also has Westons Perry / Organic and Old Rosie available on draught at £47 plus VAT to the licencee!
- Mitchells & Butlers, operate an unbranded urban chain which sells draught and bottled Westons (Jericho Tavern and Cape of Good Hope in Oxford, The Mall in Clifton, etc.) They also operate the "sizzler" brand (which seems to stock no real cider), the Scream student pubs which stock Brothers cider and the All Bar One chain, which has recently started selling Aspalls at the expense of Magners, according to this story
- Marstons (formerly Wolverhampton and Dudley), recently acquired Wychwood Brewery and their bottled Green Goblin (made by Thatchers) is showing up in more W&D pubs,some can also stock Cheddar Valley, also made by Thatchers.
- Enterprise Inns, massive pubco which allows tennents to stock different Westons ciders depending on area, for example pubs in East Yorkshire can only get Old Rosie.
Pub companies which may supply real cider
These are pub companies where real cider has been sighted in at least one pub. If you visit another of their pubs, do report back here.
- Vale Brewery, information required.
- Mitchells of Lancaster, Former brewer based in Lancaster, now selling a range of independant brewers products. At least three of their pubs sell a draught Westons Cider, it can only be a matter of time before more do.
Pub companies which don't supply real cider
Too many to mention, but Greene King (aka 'Greede Kerching') deserves special criticism for their aggressive promotion of real ale (often through buying up regional breweries) but complete lack of interest in real cider.