Homemade Cider Press Parts
Some Parts needed to make a Homemade Cider Press
Softwood for the frame in the following suggested sizes:
- 6 @ 750 x 100 x 50 (96 x 46 finished size) - main frame members
- 2 @ 350 x 100 x 50 (96 x 46 finished size) - end pieces for stability
- 1 @ 480 x 46 x 46 - tongue for juice tray
- 4 @ 540 x 100 x 18 (or 15) - lipping for juice tray
- 150mm / 6" M10 Plated Coach Bolts - 8 off
- 100mm / 4" M10 Plated Coach Screws - 4 off
Flat Worktop Offcut
From wherever you can get it (try a neighbour / family / kitchen place first...):
- 1 @ 500 x 500 x 38 - press base / pressure plate / juice tray base
From Machine Mart:
- 1 x 6 tonne hydraulic bottle jack = £14-98 (or if you register with them and get to a store on a 'VAT Free' promotional day (regular occurrences) like I did: £12-75). Link: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=107&r=2047 & scroll down to " Professional Bottle Jacks". TBH you don't need a 6 tonne jack, a 4 or even 2 tonne would do the job. You may pick up a decent hydraulic jack from a flea market or garage sale?
Various pins, a few brass screws, waterproof PVA and some polyurethane varnish.
A basic selection of hand tools such as a good tenon saw, try-square, drill and bits, G-cramps / vice / work bench, small plane (smoothing or block), some glasspaper to finish off.
Another very useful supplier of ironmongery and tools are: Screwfix and they are worth checking out - but watch out for the "handling" charges...
Back to Homemade Cider Press