Cider Pub Guide to Worcestershire
The guide to pubs seliing Real Cider in Worcestershire. 50 pubs listed so far...
- The Bell at Pensax, Pensax, Abberley, Worcestershire, WR6 6AE. Tel: (01299) 896677.
Several times winner of the local CAMRA Pub of the Year award, The Bell is a friendly place which does excellent food and ales as well an excellent range of local ciders and perrys. Both Barkers and Barbourne Worcestershire ciders are currently available along with Westons Perry and Old Rosie, Robinsons and Stowford Press. (July 2009 - Doc Oakley).
- The Weighbridge, Alvechurch Marina, Scarfield Wharf, Alvechurch, Worcestershire, B48 7SQ. Tel: (0121) 445 5111.
- Weatheroak Ales Off Licence, 25 Withybed Lane, Alvechurch, Worcestershire, B48 7NX. Tel: (0121) 445 4411.
- Coach & Horses at Weatheroak, Weatheroak, Alvechurch, Worcestershire, B48 7EA. Tel: (01564) 823386.
After a few stops and starts, the real cider was finally back on the agenda at the Coach & Horses when I was last there in late-June 2006. Can't remember the name of the cider, but it was a fairly rare West Country draught and very good too!
- Star Inn, Ashton-under-Hill, Nr. Evesham, Worcestershire, WR11 7SN. Tel: (01386) 881325.
Village pub catering for all, several areas for drinking and eating, garden. At least 1 rotating cider/perry, tub on the bar back. Cider festival August Bank Holiday weekend when thirds are also available. September 2008.
- Hampstall Inn, Astley Burf, Worcestershire, DY13 0RY. Tel: (01299) 822600.
Riverside pub on the Severn a few miles downstream of Stourport. Formerly a cider house proper, it now only sells Thatchers Heritage on handpump. Decent pub grub though the menu spelling is a bit erratic - I think their 'Pennines' were meant to be 'paninis'. Slightly rickety moorings outside.
- Round of Gras, Bretforton Road, Worcestershire, WR11 7XQ. Tel: (01386) 830206.
- Admiral Rodney, Berrow Green, Near Martley, Worcestershire, WR6 6PL. Tel: (01886) 821375.
A large country pub focusing on eats and selling a cider/perry from Westons range. Maltcote
- The Mug House Inn, 12 Severnside North, Bewdley, Worcestershire, DY12 2EE. Tel: (01299) 402543.
Riverside pub in attractive setting, with outdoor seating. Weston's range of Ciders. Bar meals at lunchtime, restaurant meals in the evening. At their beer festival on the May Day holiday weekend, real ciders and perries were available from The Ross-on-Wye Cider and Perry Co and Barbourne Cider.
- The Horn & Trumpet, 14 Dog Lane, Bewdley, Worcestershire, DY12 2EH. Tel: (01299) 403774.
Thatchers Heritage on handpump. Located just off the High Street.
- Tipplers, 70 Load Street, Bewdley, Worcestershire, DY12 2AW. Tel: (01299) 402254.
Excellent specialist shop stocking a superb range of beers and cider and perry. Westons, Thatchers, Gwynt-Y-Draig (literally 'Dragon's Breath'!) and many more in bottles including several Gwatkins ciders and perries. Also sells a couple on draught, usually Thatchers and a guest cider: most frequently this is 'Black Rat' (July 2009 - Doc Oakley).
- Nailers Arms, 62 Doctors Hill, Bournheath, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B61 9JE. Tel: (01527) 873045.
Large eatery with separate Public Bar. Thatchers Heritage & Farmers Tipple. Maltcote
- The Fleece Inn, The Cross, Bretforton, Worcestershire, WR11 7JE. Tel: (01386) 831173.
Classic, National Trust owned village pub, recently re-opened following a fire which all but gutted the interior. Now restored and better than ever. Drink in the historic interior, or the orchard in fine weather. Guest beers, and the website claims locally produced 'Priors Tipple' cider, though there was only Westons Old Rosie when we visited. 26/06/05 Prior's Tipple produced in Cleeve Prior, is on at the moment, August 07. And very good it is too!
We didn't find any pubs with decent cider in picturesque Broadway, but there are a few outlets for off-sales worth the detour.
- Broadway Deli, 6 - 7 Cotswold Court, The Green, Broadway, Worcestershire, WR12 7AA. Tel: (01386) 853040.
- Wayside Farm Shop, 50 Pitchers Hill, Wickhamford, Evesham, Worcestershire, WR11 7RT. Tel: (01386) 830546.
Located on the A44 between Evesham to Broadway. Wide range of Bottled Westons, Lyne Down, Minchew's, and Knights Malvern Oak & Gold, and a dry draught cider made for them by a local grower.
- The Budgens Store off the High Street has a range of bottled ciders including: Henney's/Frome Valley, Knights and Thatchers.
- Duke of York, 83 Broad Street, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B61 8LN. Tel: (01527) 872099.
- Golden Cross Hotel, 20 High Street, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B61 8HH. Tel: (01527) 870005.
- Hop Pole, 78 Birmingham Road, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B61 0DF. Tel: (01527) 870100.
Brilliant friendly pub, with big selection of cider on last visit, including Gwynt Y DDraig Black Dragon, Mole's Black Rat, Weston's Country Perry and the industrial cider Kingstone Pear made by Aston Manor. They have a "bottled cider of the week" on their chalk boards. Live music and enthusiastic staff! Highly recommended! --Sammi 22:18, 8 July 2011 (UTC)
- Wildmoor Oak Pub and Restaurant, Top Road, Wildmoor, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B61 0RB. Tel: (0121) 453 2696.
Marketing itself as a "Cider House" and selling Tardebigge Cider, Hogans and Addlestones on tap. Others due soon. Pleasant Rural pub with good food too. Highly recommended. Gwatkins available as off 12/06/11 CiderMike 17:44, 12 June 2011 (UTC)
- Plume Of Feathers Inn, Castlemorton, Malvern, Worcestershire, WR13 6JB. Tel: (01684) 833554.
This excellent pub often will have tub of real cider on the side bar. These usually come from Worcestershire maker Barbourne or the award winning Ross-on-Wye Cider and Perry co. They also have a beer festival in July, which has a good range of real ciders and perries on offer.
- The Fox Inn, Bromsgrove Road, Lower Chaddesley, Chaddesley Corbett, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY10 4QN. Tel: (01562) 777247.
Roadside Inn on Bromsgrove/Kidderminster A448, Thatchers Dry. No Real Cider available as of June 2011.
- The Swan, The Village, Chaddesley Corbett, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY10 4SD. Tel: (01562) 777302.
- King's Arms, Bidford Road, Cleeve Prior, Worcestershire, WR11 8LQ. Tel: (01789) 773335.
- Cider House (Monkey House), Woodmancote (A4104), Defford, Worcestershire, WR8 9BW. Tel: (01386) 750234.
Map. Classic rural cider house, basically a thatched black and white cottage with barrels of cider behind a stable door. Drink outside or in the tiny former bakehouse. Cider from Bulmers (now made by Westons) or Woodmancote, a dry, somewhat sharp style of cider made exclusively for the cider house by Bulmers (or is it Westons now?) Locals often bring snacks to share so bring your own if you don't want to feel left out. Directions: The Monkey House is a thatched cottage set back from the main road, around 100yds from the Royal Oak pub which is marked on the OS map as PH at Woodmancote. There is a rough car park at the front of the cider house adjacent to the road. If you can see the field full of golf balls you're in the right area! There's been a fair bit of speculation recently regarding, due to the death of one of it's owners, the possible closure of The Monkey House, an old cyder house in Worcestershire.
Whilst at Ross Cider Festival recently I got talking at some length with a regular customer of 'The Monkey' and she told me it definitely was not the intent of the landlady to close the establishment. For those who may fancy a visit there, here are the opening times as given to me last week: 6-10pm Wed/Thur/Sat/Sun. evenings and Friday lunchtimes.
- Crown, Waterside, Evesham, Worcestershire, WR11 1JZ. Tel: (01386) 446151.
- Old Red Horse, Vine Street, Evesham, Worcestershire, WR11 4RE. Tel: (01386) 442784.
- The Old Swanne Inne, 66 High Street, Worcestershire, Evesham, Worcestershire, WR11 4HG. Tel: (01386)442650.
- Royal Oak, 5 Vine Street, Evesham, Worcestershire, WR11 4RE. Tel: (01386) 442465.
Nice old town pub, but the music can be intrusive. Thatchers Heritage.
- Millets Farm Centre, Evesham Country Park, Evesham, Worcestershire, WR11 4TP. Tel: (01386) 423970.
In the "Cider Corner" they have several ciders and perries on draught, in 1, 2, 4 and 8 pint containers that you fill yourself. You can buy the containers and/or refill. There is also a loyalty scheme where your get a stamp for each 4 pints, then get a free pint with 4 stamps. Its not cheap £4.34 for 2 pints + 30p for container. They also have some nice glass bottles that you can fill as gifts - or good for homemade sloe gin etc. October 2009: Today they had Janets Jungle Juice, Devon Farm Cider, Gwynt y Ddraig Perry, a Gwatkins Perry, and a couple of others. The Cider Corner Website says that they currently have 7 different varieties of cider and perry in casks. The Cider Corner allows you to have a taste to help decide which variety you like best. Then choose a container size from a 1 pint to 8, fill and go. Re-fill service: bring your bottle back on your next visit and pay only for the re-fill. Cider Lovers Loyalty Card.
- Rose & Crown, High Street, Feckenham, Worcestershire, B96 6HS. Tel: (01527) 892188.
Classic 2 bar village local, large garden. Thatchers Dry. Maltcote
- Camp House Inn, Camp Lane, Grimley, Worcestershire, WR2 6LX. Tel: (01905) 640288.
Riverside warren of a pub. Unpretentious local clientele and equally unpretentious food (burger and chips, ham and chips, etc.) although apparently some meals are actually being homemade by the landlady. Kids and dogs positively encouraged. The ciders are Thatchers Gold, Thatchers Dry, Thatchers Scrumpy and Robinsons Flagon, sometimes 'Camp House Scrumpy'. The pub sits on the banks of the river Severn, easily found by river or road but beware of satnaff inaccuracies. Take the road towards Grimley, then turn right (south) at the edge of the village down Camp Lane, a long cul-de-sac.
Headless Cross, Redditch
- Steps, 163 Evesham Road, Headless Cross, Redditch, Worcestershire, B97 5EN. Tel: (01527) 550448.
Wine-bar type of place but OK. Westons. Maltster
- Ye Olde Seven Stars, 13 - 14 Coventry Street, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY10 2BG. Tel: (01562) 755777.
Friendly town centre pub with helpful staff, now selling Thatchers Heritage on handpump as well as Stowford Press on draught also has an excellent range of real ales available, large garden at rear. You can bring your own food into this pub they provide the plates & cutlery
- Nag's Head, 21 Bank Street, Malvern Link, Worcestershire, WR14 2JG. Tel: (01684) 574373.
Busy pub with a good mix of locals. It serves a range of Westons draught products. Also has an excellent range of real ales.
- Fox Inn, Monkwood Green, Hallow, Worcestershire, WR2 6NX. Tel: (01886) 889123.
Exceptional country pub to the NW of Worcester, the main outlet for Barkers Cider and Perry. Maltcote
- Brandy Cask, 25 Bridge Street, Pershore, Worcestershire, WR10 1AJ. Tel: (01386) 552602.
- Capers Fine Foods, 10 High Street, Pershore, Worcestershire, WR10 1BG. Tel: (01386) 556342
Bottles of the local Priors Tipple Cider and apple juice.
- Sportsman's Arms, Peakman Street, Redditch, Worcestershire, B98 8DA. Tel: (01527) 596446.
Various real ciders on handpump for very reasonable prices (from £2 a pint!). Weston's Traditional Scrumpy, Old Rosie, Moles Black Rat and Thatcher's Cheddar Valley on tap on last visit (09/07/11) and bottles including Thatcher's Katy and Weston's Organic. --Sammi 21:42, 10 July 2011 (UTC)
- The Rising Sun, Unit 4, Alcester Street, Redditch, Worcestershire, B98 8AE. Tel: (01527) 62452.
- The Queens Head Inn, 1 Main Street, Sedgeberrow, Evesham, WR116UE. Tel: (01386) 881447.
- The Angel Inn, Severnside, Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire. Tel: (01299) 822661.
- Ye Olde Crown Inn, 9 Bridge Street, Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, DY13 8XB. Tel: (01299) 825693.
Standard issue Wetherspoon by Stourport Bridge with the usual range of bottles and bags-in-a-box. Outdoor riverside seating available. Scrumpy cider keeped in fridge nice if you like it like that "I Don't"--126.96.36.199 16:25, 27 August 2006 (UTC)
- The Vaults, 11 Teme Street, Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire, WR15 8BB. Tel: (01584) 811883.
The usual glucose stuff but alongside in an old handpull (embossed 'Taunton Cider' in the brass!) they had a real cider sourced from one of their local 'boys'. Lovely stuff it was too! Couple this with the old fashioned ambience of the pub and you have all the makings of a nice hour or two. Now stocking Rich's cider on handpump as the locals like it ! August 2006. The Vaults has been closed since the floods in 2007 and has not yet re-opened (Feb 08) - being refurbished too.
- The Fruiters Arms, Uphampton, Ombersley, Worcestershire, WR9 0JW. Tel: (01905) 620305.
Home of the Canon Royal Brewery, This jem of a pub serves draught Barbourne Perry.
- Kings Head, Riverside, High Street, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestershire, WR8 0HF. Tel: (01684) 592621.
- The Wheatsheaf, Bromyard Road, Whitbourne, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR6 5SF. Tel: (01886) 822282.
- The Live and Let Live, Whitbourne, Bromyard, Worcestershire, WR6 5SP. Tel: (01886) 821016.
bromyard.net reports "ciders from Malvern". Confirmation needed.
- Lock Inn, Wolverley Road, Wolverley, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY10 3RW. Tel: (01562) 850581.
- The Cricketers, Angel Street, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1 3QT. Tel: (01905) 23583.
Five minutes' walk from Worcester Foregate St. station. An attractive pub with cricket paraphernalia all over the walls, it's new to keeping real cider, Thatchers Medium available May 2007. (Though the barman was very dismissive of it!) Hoping to keep more local ciders in future if demand is there.
- The Crown, Crown Passage, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1 3LL. Tel: (01905) 721870.
- Dragon Inn, 51 The Tything, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1 1JT. Tel: (01905) 25845.
Thatchers (Gold and Heritage on draught, plus Katy in bottles). Definitely a drinker's pub, but with a large no-smoking area. Easy to find - head north from Foregate Street station (turn right out the station) and it's on your left after half a mile.
- Eagle Vaults, 2 Friar Street, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1 2LZ. Tel: (01905) 616378.
On Worcester's most appealing street (parallel to the High Street, but two streets back), a pub with an outstanding old-fashioned Midlands tiled exterior. Busy and noisy but comfortable inside. Thatchers Heritage (and Gold).
- The Firefly, 54 Lowesmoor, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1 2SE. Tel: (01905) 616996.
Formerly the Apple Tree, once one of the best cider pubs in Britain, with its own orchard out the back. Sadly no longer a cider pub, but still sells Weston's Traditional Scrumpy and bottled Thatchers Katy. (10/08/11)
- The Plough, Deansway, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1 2JD. Tel: (01905) 613858.
All is not lost... The Plough has re-opened after a fight to save this classic city free-house from closure. The pub now sells excellent draught real cider from local makers Barbourne: it outsells Strongbow by a large margin, and rightly so! Behind the bar they have bottle conditioned perry in bottles also made by Barbourne. Decent pub grub 12pm-5.30pm - excellent pies and surprisingly tasty sandwiches. To find the pub head down Deansway from the Cathedral towards Worcester Bridge and the College of Technology.
- Postal Order, 18 Foregate Street, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1 1DN. Tel: (01905) 22373.
- The Swan with Two Nicks, 28 New Street, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1 2DP. Tel: (01905) 21890.
- Trinity News and Off Licence, No 4 The Trinity, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1 2PN. Tel: (01905) 612209.
- The Northwick Arms, Vine Street, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR3 7DY. Tel: (01905) 451379.
- Worcester Arts Workshop, 21 Sansome Street, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1 1UH. Tel: (01905) 21095.
Stocks a range of Worcester's Barbourne cider and perry in bottles.
- The Anchor, Wyre Piddle, near Pershore, Worcestershire, WR10 2JB. Tel: (01386) 556059.
- Worcestershire branches of CAMRA produce a regular newsletter, Pint Taken, which is freely downloadable on the web and often contains items of cider interest.
Pubs Delisted from the Cider Pub Guide to Worcestershire
- Dodford Inn, Whinfield Road, The Village (off A448), B61 9BG.
Pub closed May 2007.
- Park Gate, Kidderminster Road, (A448), B61 9AJ.
Fine 2 roomed local just outside Bromsgrove, but no real cider served.
- The Crown Inn, Main Road, Hallow, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR2 6LB. Tel: (01905) 640408.
Independent country pub on the just outside Worcester on the Tenbury Road, only selling Stowford Press on tap.
- Pig and Drum, 53 Lowesmoor, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1 2RS. Tel: (01905) 23705.
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|