Cider Pub Guide to Wiltshire
The guide to pubs selling Real Cider in Wiltshire. 24 entries so far..
- the Cross Guns Pub in Avoncliffe, Wiltshire Toodle Pip Cider
The Cross Guns Avoncliff Bradford-on-Avon Wiltshire BA15 2HB http://www.crossguns.net/index.html
Bradford on Avon
- The Dog and Fox, Ashley Road, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1RT. Tel: (01225) 863257.
Traditional locals pub with good selection of ales and ciders. Ask what they've got 'out the back'. Darts, cribbage, some TV for football matches, but no music. Decent Sunday lunches.
- The Oliver Cromwell, 71 St. Edith's Marsh, Bromham, nr Devizes, Wilts, SN15 2DF. Tel: (01380) 850293.
On the Blandford road, 2 miles out of Salisbury. Charles May's village shop has Cider by Rosie Dorset draught cider as 'takeouts'.
- The Cuckoo, Hamptworth, Wiltshire, SP5 2DU. Tel: (01794) 390302.
This little thatched cottage of a pub is a gem on the northern edge of the New Forest located on the road from Redlynch to the A36. It is a truly unspoilt pub with local real ales and Frams Cider. Bar food is simple but tasty - pasties & beans or thick vegetable soup, served 12-2 and evenings. 'Frying Machine' mobile fish and chip shop calls 20:30 - 21:15 on Fridays. Nice garden with adult-only 'meditation and cloud watching area' at the back. Cycle rack.
Honeystreet (summer only)
- Barge Inn, Honeystreet, Alton Barnes, Pewsey, Wiltshire, SN9 5PS. Tel: (01672) 851705.
Thatchers Cheddar Valley on draught from Easter to October. Characterful canalside pub and a meeting place for crop circle enthusiasts, on the Kennet & Avon Canal 4 miles West of Pewsey. Can get incredibly busy on summer weekends with service being slow as a result. Great pub outside busy times, though. Has a camping and caravan site.
- The Bell Inn, Bowden Hill, Lacock, Wiltshire, SN15 2PJ. Tel: (01249) 730308.
Bulmers Traditional, good range of ales and food.
- Rising Sun 32 Bowden Hill, Lacock, Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN15 2PP. Tel: (01249) 730363.
- Wellington Arms, 46 High Street, Marlborough, Wiltshire, SN8 1HQ. Tel: (01672) 512954.
Moles Black Rat. (4/09)
- The Spotted Cow, High Street, Marston Meysey, Wiltshire, SN6 6LQ. Tel: (01285) 810264.
Traditional village pub selling Old Rosie alongside several real ales. Serves tasty good value food.
- The Malet Arms, Newton Tony, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP4 0HF. Tel: (01980) 629279.
Traditional but slightly upmarket village pub selling Westons Old Rosie. Really good atmosphere. Food to accompany the cider - the Malet Burger (Out of this world) or the Malet Steak Sandwich.
Ogbourne St. George
- The Inn with the Well, Ogbourne St. George, Marlborough, Wiltshire, SN8 1SQ. Tel: (01672) 841445. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
photo This village pub, formerly known as The Old Crown, features real ales and traditional cider from local producers, and boasts 'No pool table - no juke box'. Roy Bailey
- The Crown, 60 Wilcot Street, Pewsey, Wiltshire, SN9 5EL. Tel: (01672) 562653.
- Duke of York, 34 York Road, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP2 7AS. Tel: (01722) 324092.
Always at least two from Weston's or Thatchers cider on handpull with another sourced from local farms such as Joe's or Moonraker plus occassionally a third behind the bar as well as Stowford Press keg.
- The Anchor and Hope, 59 Winchester Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1 1HL. Tel: (01722) 327890.
Good local pub behind Abbey Stores that sells Moles Black Rat or another draught cider all the time. The freshly cooked pizzas are well worth trying and there is a lovely beer garden for those hot summer days (they will come soon, won't they?)
- The Brewery Inn, 69 Seend Cleeve, Seend, Melksham, Wiltshire, SN12 6PX. Tel: (01380) 828463.
- The Three Magpies, Sells Green, Seend, Wiltshire, SN12 6RN. Tel: (01380) 828389. Email: email@example.com
- The Dockle Farm House, 2 Bridge End Road, Stratton St Margaret, Swindon, SN3 4PD. Tel: (01793) 838910.
- The Glue Pot, 5 Emlyn Square, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 5BP. Tel: (01793) 523935.
A tradional ale house in the old Railway Village. Has a wide range of real ales and several Weston's traditional ciders.
- The Groves Company Inn, 22 - 24 Fleet Street, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 1RQ. Tel: (01793) 402040.
- The Prince of Wales, 8 Union Street, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 3LD. Tel: (01793) 523026.
Back street locals' pub in Old Town with draught Old Rosie.
- The Savoy, 38 - 40 Regent Street, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 1JL. Tel: (01793) 533970.
- The Sir Daniel Arms, Fleet Street, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 1RQ. Tel: (01793) 509270.
Astonishingly, the fourth Wetherspoon in Swindon. Due to open early June 2007, usual range promised (according to the staff of the Groves Company Inn, which can only be 200 yards away).
- The Wheatsheaf, 32 Newport Street, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 3DP. Tel: (01793) 523188.
Outstanding two-bar pub in Old Town: front bar definitely for locals only, back bar an attractively set-out area with pool and rural decor. Weston's Traditional Scrumpy on hand-pump, plus bottled Weston's Organic (and draught Stowford Press).
- The Sun Inn, The Street, Lydiard Millicent, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN5 3LU. Tel: (01793) 770425.
- King John Inn, Main Street, Tollard Royal, Wiltshire, SP5 5PS. Tel: (01725) 553044.
- The Anchor and Hope, 64 Frome Road, Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14 0DF. Tel: (01225) 752794.
Located at junction of Frome Road and Waterworks Road (about half a mile from town centre). Superb basic boozer with darts, cribbage, shove ha'penny, TV for sport events and superb juke box. Very busy Sunday lunchtimes and you're virtually guaranteed to find some real "characters" in at any time. Serves Moles' Black Rat and occasionally Old Rosie as well, plus Bulmers on tap and several bottled ciders. And if, sadly, cider's not your thing you can try the best pint of Draught Bass available outside of The Star Inn in Bath. Superb. Also ask to try one of Ade's Infamous Chilli Pickled Onions - absolute rocket fuel!
- The Ship, 10 High Street, Upavon, Pewsey, Wiltshire, SN9 6EA. Tel: (01980) 630313.
- The Bell, 19 Chalford, Westbury, Wiltshire, BA13 3RG. Tel: (01373) 859670.
Onthe corner of Warminster Road and Laverton Road. Darts, cribbage, some TV for football matches, but no music. Serves Thatchers on draft.
Woodfalls, Near Downton
- The Woodfalls Inn Steakhouse, The Ridge, Woodfalls, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP5 2LN. Tel: (01725) 513222.
Pubs Delisted from the Cider Pub Guide to Wiltshire
- The Check Inn, North Wroughton, Wiltshire. Tel: (01793) 845584.
Sadly no real cider any more (May 07) since takeover by Fullers.
- The Greyhound, High St, Bromham, Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN15 2HA. Tel: (01380) 850241.
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|