Cider Pub Guide to West Midlands
The guide to pubs selling cider in the West Midlands.
21 entries so far..
Gas Street Basin
- Canalside Cafe, 35 Worcester Bar, Gas Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B1 2JU. Tel: (0121) 248 7979.
Former lock-keeper's cottage serving homecooked food. Serves Thatchers Pear Cider and Westons Organic in bottles, as well as the industrial cider Thatchers Gold on draught. Located in the famous Canalside Gas Street.
- The Wellington, 37 Bennetts Hill, Birmingham, West Midlands, B2 5SN. Tel: (0121) 200 3115.
Run by the former landlord of The Stag at Bloxwich. 2 guest real ciders or perry offered on handpump behind the bar, these are usually from Worcestershire maker Barbourne Cider or the Ross-on-Wye Cider & Perry Co, however from time to time they stock Barkers, Thatchers, Knights and Newtons (plus Saxons). Cider board to right of bar lists those available. Bottled ciders are Thatchers Coxs, Katy and Old Rascal, aswell as Westons.
- The Figure Of Eight, 236 - 238 Broad Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B1 2HG. Tel: (0121) 6330917.
A Wetherspoon pub in Birmingham's entertainments centre. Weston's Old Rosie and Organic Vintage always available along with Sheppy's Oakwood and Thatcher's Perry in botles for the summer. Possible inclusion of guest ciders/perries on handpumps if popularity continues.
- Paradise Forum, Chamberlain Square, Birmingham, B3 3JH. Tel: (0121) 214 8970.
- The Old Contemptibles, 176 Edmund Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B3 2HB. Tel: (0121) 2003310.
- The Anchor, Bradford Street, Digbeth, Birmingham, West Midlands, B5 6ET. Tel: (0121) 622 4516.
Just around the corner from Birmingham National Express Coach station. Vistied on 10/02/11 to find a fizzy version of Thatchers Cheddar Valley, as well as Thatchers Gold and Weston's Country Perry which seemed to be the guest and the best one available. There were also bottles of Thatcher's Old Rascal and Thatcher's Katy. There were other bottles, but only pretend ciders like Magners and WKD Core. Overall, I was disappointed, but apparantly, there's more real cider during their beer festivals. CiderMike 09:57, 19 February 2011 (UTC)
- Bartons Arms, 144 High Street, Aston, Birmingham, West Midlands, B6 4UP. Tel: (0121) 333 5988.
Fantastic Victorian tiled interior - Birmingham CAMRA POTY 2005. Now stocking Westons Organic Vintage in 500ml bottles, Westons Perry in 1l bottles, and draught Westons Old Rosie or First Quality, served on handpump. Draught cider has become a permanent fixture.
- The Briar Rose, Bennetts Hill, Birmingham, West Midlands, B2 5RE. Tel: (0121) 634 8100.
- The Highbury, Dads Lane, Birmingham, West Midlands, B13 8PG. Tel: (0121) 414 1525.
- Island Bar, 14 - 16 Suffolk Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B1 1LT. Tel: (0121) 632 5296.
"Rock'n'roll cocktail bar" - opens 5pm to late every day, with DJs, live music nights, and student/young professional clientele. Stocks Westons Premium Organic 50cl bottles @ £3, possible plans to stock a second traditional bottled cider.
- Rooty Frooty, Custard Factory, Gibb Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B9 4AA. Tel: (0121) 604 7777.
- The Pear Tree, 25-27 Alcester Road South, Kings Heath, B14 7JQ.
- The Station, 7 High Street, Kings Heath, Birmingham, West Midlands, B14 7BB. Tel: (0121) 444 1257.
- The White Horse, 2 York Road, Harborne, Birmingham, West Midlands, B17 0HG. Tel: (0121) 4276023.
Small traditional pub in suburb of Birmingham. Regularly featured a draught cider (often Westons Old Rosie kept in very good condition, but also Westons Scrumpy or Cheddar Valley). *cider temporarily unavailable due to delisting by Spirit Group who own the pub, but landlord & staff are keen to see this returned*
- The White Swan, Harborne Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, West Midlands, B15 3TT. Tel: (0121) 454 2359.
Excellent gastropub with nice food and eclectic drinks - serves bottled Aspall's Cyder.
- The Town Wall Tavern, Bond Street, Coventry, West Midlands, CV1 4AH. Tel: 024 7622 0963.
- Nursery Tavern, 38 Lord Street, Chapel Fields, Coventry, West Midlands, CV5 8DA Tel: 024 76674530.
Normally has a cider on (March 2006). But does it now? CiderMike 15:44, 7 February 2011 (UTC)
- The Waggon and Horses, 131 Toll End Road, Ocker Hill, Tipton, West Midlands, DY4 0ET. Tel: (0121) 5026453.
- The Waggon & Horses, 21 Stourbridge Road, Halesowen, West Midlands, B63 3TU. Tel: (0121) 550 4989.
Sells Thatchers Cheddar Valley, Weston's First Quality and Weston's Perry. Very reasonable prices (a pint of Cheddar Valley as of September 2011 would only set you back £2.30)! Also stocks a large collection of real ales and Belgian beers. --Sammi 20:04, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
- Blue Bell, Warings Green Road, Hockley Heath, Solihull, West Midlands, B94 6BP. Tel: (01564) 702328
The Bluebell or Blue Bell hasn't changed a bit since then, and that's the real beauty of it; a tranquil oasis with a friendly, if no-nonsense gaffer, it remains untouched by the ravages of 'theme-pub-itis'. Large canalside pub, a true Bulmers cider house not so long ago, still serving a range of "Bulmers" products (plus Westons and the Blue Bell's special ciders) on handpumps (and a very good selection of constantly changing guest real-ales).
Visited in August 2008: Bulmers Traditional (Med) and Inch's (Bulmers) Stonehouse Cider (Dry) on handpump. Several empty Thatchers barrels suggest their Trad and Heritage have been available recently. Nice traditional bar with darts and locals cider mugs hanging up. The rest of the pub is less interesting. Good outside seating by the canal. Worth a visit, but the beer may be a better choice than the rather average range of ciders.
Nice traditional bar with darts and locals cider mugs hanging up. The rest of the pub is less interesting. Good outside seating by the canal. Worth a visit, but the beer may be a better choice than the rather average range of ciders.
- Duke William, 25 Coventry St, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY8 1EP. Tel: (01384) 440 202.
The Duke William won both the Stourbridge & Halesowen CAMRA Pub of the Year 2011 and the Stourbridge & Halesowen Cider Pub of the Year 2011. On last visit it stocked Gwynt y Ddraig Dog Dancer, Wilkins Farmhouse and various bottled ciders. --Sammi 20:04, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
Pubs Delisted from the Cider Pub Guide to West Midlands
- Tap & Spile, Gas Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B1 2JT. Tel: (0121) 632 5602.
- Fountain Inn, 8 Temple Street, off A459, Lower Gornal, West Midlands. Tel: (01384) 242777.
Delisted as it doesn't sell Thatchers anymore! Aparantly, didnt sell enough as the barmaids were too lazy to go down to the cellar to pour you one and have now stopped serving it!
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|