Cider Pub Guide to West Midlands
The guide to pubs selling cider in the West Midlands.
21 entries so far..
- The Briar Rose, Bennetts Hill, Birmingham, West Midlands, B2 5RE. Tel: (0121) 634 8100.
- Canalside Cafe, 35 Worcester Bar, Gas Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B1 2JU. Tel: (0121) 248 7979.
Former lock-keeper's cottage. At time of last visit in July 2013, there was Westons Old Rosie and Moles Black Rat on handpull at the bar. Located in the famous Canalside Gas Street. -- Sammi, 20/07/2013
- The Figure Of Eight, 236 - 238 Broad Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B1 2HG. Tel: (0121) 6330917.
A Wetherspoon pub in Birmingham's entertainments centre. Weston's Old Rosie and Organic Vintage always available along with Sheppy's Oakwood and Thatcher's Perry in botles for the summer. Possible inclusion of guest ciders/perries on handpumps if popularity continues.
- Island Bar, 14 - 16 Suffolk Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B1 1LT. Tel: (0121) 632 5296.
"Rock'n'roll cocktail bar" - opens 5pm to late every day, with DJs, live music nights, and student/young professional clientele. Stocks Westons Premium Organic 50cl bottles @ £3, possible plans to stock a second traditional bottled cider.
- The Old Contemptibles, 176 Edmund Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B3 2HB. Tel: (0121) 2003310.
- Paradise Forum, Chamberlain Square, Birmingham, B3 3JH. Tel: (0121) 214 8970.
- Post Office Vaults, 84 New Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B2 4BA.
CAMRA West Midlands Cider Pub of the Year 2013. 13+ frequently changing real ciders in this city centre basement freehouse. As well as cider it stocks over 300 different beers from around the globe as well as real-ales, so something for everyone here. --Sammi 18:17, 17 July 2013 (BST)
- The Wellington, 37 Bennetts Hill, Birmingham, West Midlands, B2 5SN. Tel: (0121) 200 3115.
Run by the former landlord of The Stag at Bloxwich. 2 guest real ciders or perry offered on handpump behind the bar, these are usually from Worcestershire maker Barbourne Cider or the Ross-on-Wye Cider & Perry Co, however from time to time they stock Barkers, Thatchers, Knights and Newtons (plus Saxons). Cider board to right of bar lists those available. Bottled ciders are Thatchers Coxs, Katy and Old Rascal, aswell as Westons.
- The Anchor, Bradford Street, Digbeth, Birmingham, West Midlands, B5 6ET. Tel: (0121) 622 4516.
Just around the corner from Birmingham National Express Coach station. Visited in July 2013 and while there was a real "Scumpy" cider on offer there was no clear definition of what cider this actually was (and despite having tried a few in my time I couldn't make a reasonable guess either!) - whatever it was it wasn't good quality. However, will visit again in the near future to check on the cider situation again. --Sammi 19:29, 17 July 2013 (BST)
- Bartons Arms, 144 High Street, Aston, Birmingham, West Midlands, B6 4UP. Tel: (0121) 333 5988.
Fantastic Victorian tiled interior - Birmingham CAMRA POTY 2005. Now stocking Westons Organic Vintage in 500ml bottles, Westons Perry in 1l bottles, and draught Westons Old Rosie or First Quality, served on handpump. Draught cider has become a permanent fixture.
- The British Oak, 1364 Pershore Road, Stirchley, Birmingham, West Midlands, B30 2XS. Tel: (0121) 458 1758.
Six bag-in-box real ciders on last visit (June 2013). Large Heritage Pubs bar with extensive beer garden. --Sammi 18:17, 17 July 2013 (BST)
- The Highbury, Dads Lane, Birmingham, West Midlands, B13 8PG. Tel: (0121) 414 1525.
- Inn on the Green, 2 Westley Road, Acocks Green, Birmingham, West Midlands, B27 7UH. Tel: (0121) 708 0108.
Bit of a local pub atmosphere, with up to four real ciders on at any one time. --Sammi 18:17, 17 July 2013 (BST)
- The Pear Tree, 25-27 Alcester Road South, Kings Heath, B14 7JQ.
- The Prince of Wales, 118 Alcester Road, Moseley, Birmingham, B13 8EE. Tel: 0121 449 4198.
Located in Moseley village, this quirky pub with a large beer garden has two real ciders on handpump; often a combination of either Westons Old Rosie, Gwynt y Ddraig Black Dragon or Gwynt y Ddraig Hazy Days (although there have been variations to this). It also has bottled real cider and stocks Thatchers Gold on draught. --Sammi 18:17, 17 July 2013 (BST)
- Rooty Frooty, Custard Factory, Gibb Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B9 4AA. Tel: (0121) 604 7777.
- The White Horse, 2 York Road, Harborne, Birmingham, West Midlands, B17 0HG. Tel: (0121) 4276023.
Small traditional pub in suburb of Birmingham. This pub stocks two real bag-in-box ciders. Last visit June 2013. --Sammi 18:17, 17 July 2013 (BST)
- The White Swan, Harborne Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, West Midlands, B15 3TT. Tel: (0121) 454 2359.
Excellent gastropub with nice food and eclectic drinks - serves bottled Aspall's Cyder.
- The Town Wall Tavern, Bond Street, Coventry, West Midlands, CV1 4AH. Tel: 024 7622 0963.
- Nursery Tavern, 38 Lord Street, Chapel Fields, Coventry, West Midlands, CV5 8DA Tel: 024 76674530.
Normally has a cider on (March 2006). But does it now? CiderMike 15:44, 7 February 2011 (UTC)
- The Waggon and Horses, 131 Toll End Road, Ocker Hill, Tipton, West Midlands, DY4 0ET. Tel: (0121) 5026453.
- The Waggon & Horses, 21 Stourbridge Road, Halesowen, West Midlands, B63 3TU. Tel: (0121) 550 4989.
Sells Thatchers Cheddar Valley, Weston's First Quality and Weston's Perry. Very reasonable prices (a pint of Cheddar Valley as of September 2011 would only set you back £2.30)! Also stocks a large collection of real ales and Belgian beers. --Sammi 20:04, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
- Blue Bell, Warings Green Road, Hockley Heath, Solihull, West Midlands, B94 6BP. Tel: (01564) 702328
The Bluebell or Blue Bell hasn't changed a bit since then, and that's the real beauty of it; a tranquil oasis with a friendly, if no-nonsense gaffer, it remains untouched by the ravages of 'theme-pub-itis'. Large canalside pub, a true Bulmers cider house not so long ago, still serving a range of "Bulmers" products (plus Westons and the Blue Bell's special ciders) on handpumps (and a very good selection of constantly changing guest real-ales).
Visited in August 2008: Bulmers Traditional (Med) and Inch's (Bulmers) Stonehouse Cider (Dry) on handpump. Several empty Thatchers barrels suggest their Trad and Heritage have been available recently. Nice traditional bar with darts and locals cider mugs hanging up. The rest of the pub is less interesting. Good outside seating by the canal. Worth a visit, but the beer may be a better choice than the rather average range of ciders.
Nice traditional bar with darts and locals cider mugs hanging up. The rest of the pub is less interesting. Good outside seating by the canal. Worth a visit, but the beer may be a better choice than the rather average range of ciders.
- Duke William, 25 Coventry St, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY8 1EP. Tel: (01384) 440 202.
The Duke William won both the Stourbridge & Halesowen CAMRA Pub of the Year 2011 and the Stourbridge & Halesowen Cider Pub of the Year 2011. On last visit it stocked Gwynt y Ddraig Dog Dancer, Wilkins Farmhouse and various bottled ciders. --Sammi 20:04, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
Pubs Delisted from the Cider Pub Guide to West Midlands
- Fountain Inn, 8 Temple Street, off A459, Lower Gornal, West Midlands. Tel: (01384) 242777.
Delisted as it doesn't sell Thatchers anymore! Aparantly, didnt sell enough as the barmaids were too lazy to go down to the cellar to pour you one and have now stopped serving it!
- The Station, 7 High Street, Kings Heath, Birmingham, West Midlands, B14 7BB.
Delisted as it has only served Westons Stowford Press for some time now. No real cider for over a year and pub has now been renamed The Sun at the Station (and is now a DJ bar!).
- Tap & Spile, Gas Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B1 2JT. Tel: (0121) 632 5602.
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|