Cider Pub Guide to Tyne and Wear
The guide to pubs selling Real Cider in Tyne and Wear. 37 entries so far...
- The Central, Half Moon Lane, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, NE8 2AN. Tel: (0191) 478 2543. Email: email@example.com
The latest addition to The Head Of Steam chain of pubs situated between the Tyne and High Level Bridges, next to the railway bridge, and just up the road from the Hilton Hotel and The Sage in Gateshead. Ciders on 27/01/12 were Weston's Country Perry, Weston's Old Rosie, Weston's Vintage Organic, Weston's Traditional Scrumpy, Weston's Bounds Scrumpy, Weston's Twist Raspberry, Gwynt y Ddraig's Fiery Fox, Gwynt y Ddraig's Black Dragon and Perry's Farm Pressed Dry Cider. Beware of "La Cantina" which I found for sale on 03/03/12 as this is not a real cider, there were several others though including Broadoak, Westons and two very nice Hecks. CiderMike 17:01, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
- Aletaster, 706 Durham Road, Low Fell, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, NE9 6JA. Tel: (0191) 487 0770.
Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Head of Steam, 2 Neville Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, NE1 5EN. Tel: (0191) 232 4379.
- Centurion, Grand Central Station, Neville Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & wear, NE1 5DG. Tel: (0191) 261 6611.
- The Bodega, 125 Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 4AG. Tel: (0191) 221 1552.
One of the few cider outlets in the town centre, and very handy for St James' Park too. Pub in a former music hall with large stained glass domed skylights, among other interesting architectural features. Has Weston's Old Rosie on draught. Well-run with friendly staff and atmosphere, with a good mix of age groups during my visits. The GBG 2006 listed pub also has a good range of real ales, many of them from local brewers. Recommended. Paul Gunningham
- LYH, 10 Northumberland Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, NE1 8JF. Tel: (0191) 232 1308.
Previously known as Shamrox, Stepps, and Huxters, and sells is Children friendly. On 10/04/12 Weston's Country Perry was on the only cider handpump, but they had several other Weston's Ciders in the back. CiderMike 11:47, 11 April 2012 (UTC)
- The Bacchus, 42 - 48 High Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, NE1 6BX. Tel: (0191) 221 1552.
Thistly Cross Red on 03/03/12 CiderMike 22:09, 6 March 2012 (UTC)
- The Union Rooms, 48 Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 1JF. Tel: (0161) 261 5718.
Wetherspoons in a large and interesting old building with high ceilings and many rooms on two levels. Has bottled Westons ciders among others. Close to the Central Station and town centre. A bit tatty on my visits, and understaffed at peak times, but OK if your train is delayed, and a lot cheaper than the station bars. The usual Wetherspoons food and range of real ales (including many local ones). Paul Gunningham
- The Newcastle Arms, 57 St. Andrews Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 5SE. Tel: (0191) 260 2490.
CAMRA Pub of the Year. Run by enthusiastic staff. Had a couple of ciders on when I was there and happy to pull a sampler - always a good sign. Also (obviously) good range of beers and its position close to Newcastle's Chinatown can be useful.
- Tilleys Bar, 105 Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 4AW. Tel: (0191) 232 0692. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Forth Hotel, Pink Lane, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 5DW. Tel: (0191) 232 6478. Email: email@example.com
- Lady Grays, 20 Shakespeare Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, NE1 6AQ. Tel: (0191) 232 3606.
- Kings Manor, 132 - 140 New Bridge Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 2SZ. Tel: (0191) 230 1190.
Almost in the Ouseburn/Byker district, and handy if you're on you're way to The Cluny, Tyne Bar, Free Trade Inn etc from the Central Station as it's on the way. Generally only sells Westons, but you will find two or three. On18/03/12 I found The Govenor, Old Rosie, Vintage Organic and Blackcurrant Twist. CiderMike 17:02, 19 March 2012 (UTC) Update: On my last visit they had the biggest selection I'd seen in a while, including one from a new local producer "Bourbon Cider". CiderMike 12:09, 21 January 2013 (UTC)
- The Hotspur, 103 Percy Street, Haymarket, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 7RY. Tel: (0191) 232 4352.
- Bacchus, 42 - 48 High Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 1EW. Tel: (0191) 261 1008.
Two or three from the Thistly Cross range. Some possibly from concentrate.
- The Broad Chare, 25 Broad Chare, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 3DQ. Tel: (0191) 211 2144.
- The Cumberland Arms, Ouseburn, Byker, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, NE6 1LD. Tel: (0191) 265 6151.
This is a bit of a 'spit and sawdust' sort of a place - not terribly smart and certainly not a modern 'plastic' pub. But it does seem to have a very enthusiastic and committed management. Great atmosphere, friendly patrons, with live music in one room plus a couple of other rooms available for those that like it a little quieter. Has 2 cider festivals in a year. Tyne and Wear Cider pub of the year three years running. Worth taking a look at their website for up to 5 ciders on at anytime, which on 27/01/12 were Ben Crossman's Tremlett's Bitter, Gillow's Old orchard, Thatcher's Medium, Severn Sider Medium, Perry's Dry, Ross on Wye Rum Cask, Heck's Kingston Black and Newton Court Winnal Longden Perry. CiderMike 11:13, 29 January 2012 (UTC)
- Free Trade Inn, St. Lawrence Road, Ouseburn, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6 1AP. Tel: (0191) 232 7240.
Visited on 14/02/12 to find Pennard's Organic, Sandford Orchard's Old Kirton, GYD's Black Dragon, Gwatkins Perry, Parson's Choice, and the rather dodgy Raspberry Moonshine originally made by Broadoak, but ruined by Premium Drinks. CiderMike 12:34, 17 February 2012 (UTC)
- The Cluny, 34 Lime Street, Ouseburn, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 2PQ. Tel: (0191) 221 2659.
- The Ship, Stepney Bank, Ouseburn, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 2PW. Tel: (0191) 232 4868.
- The Brandling Arms, High Street, Gosforth, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE3 1HD. Tel: (0191) 285 4023.
- Gosforth Hotel, Salters Road, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, NE3 1HQ. Tel: (0191) 285 6617.
- The Job Bulman, St Nicholas Avenue, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE3 1AA. Tel: (0191) 223 6320.
- Robin Hood, Primrose Hill, Jarrow, Tyne & Wear, NE32 5UB. Tel: (0191) 428 5454 (Bar) or (0191) 483 6792 (Office).
Located in between the Fellgate and Brockley Whins Metro stops, I got off at Fellgate and walked down Calf Close Lane and on to Roman Road and down. Two real ciders on hand pull, on 3/3/12 they were an Oliver's (although it didn't say which) and a Medium Burrow Hill. CiderMike 17:00, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
- Tap And Spile, 184 Tynemouth Road, North Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE30 1EG. Tel: (0191) 257 3228.
Usually quiet on the Sunday evening I get in here but seems a nice little pub on the North Shields 'real ale circuit'. Always has lots of real ale on draught (anything upto 8 I think) and includes two draught ciders.
- The Magnesia Bank, Camden Street, North Shields.
recently taken over by Jarrow Brewery who own several pubs in the area which stock an excellent range of real cider. On my last visit there was one real cider, but rumour is that it didn't sell very well so it has been removed. Will confirm.
- The Would have, 16 Mile End Road, South Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE33 1TA. Tel: (0191) 427 6014.
- Maltings, 9 Claypath Lane, South Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE33 4PG. Tel: (0191) 427 7147.
Owned by Jarrow Brewery and selling at least 3 real ciders from various producers.
- The Isis, 26 Silksworth Row, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, SR1 3QJ. Tel: (0191) 483 6792.
Open daily from 12.00pm. Had Broadoak Perry, Broadoak Old Bristolian and Gwynt y Ddraig Farmhouse Scrumpy on handpull on 14/01/12, and Glasto Superdry, Mole's Black Rat and Burrow Hill Medium on 18/03/12. CiderMike 16:23, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
- Kings Arms, Beach Street, Ayres Key, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, SR4 6BU. Tel: (0191) 567 9804 .
Located down the hill accross the road from Isis and Museum Vaults just go past B&Q and PC World etc. It'll look like you're going the wrong way into an industrial area but don't worry, just keep heading down Farringdon Row until you see it! Weston's Old Rosie on 25/02/12 CiderMike 17:12, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
- Fitzgeralds, aka Sir John Fitzgerald, 10 - 12 Green Terrace, Sunderland, SR1 3PZ. Tel: (0191) 567 0852.
- The Lambton Worm, Victoria Building, Low Row, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, SR1 3QA. Tel: (0191) 568 9910.
- The Borough, 1 Vine Place, Town Centre, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, SR1 3NE. Tel: (0191) 514 5675.
Alternates between Weston's Old Rosie and Traditional Scrumpy. However, nothing available on 19/02/12 CiderMike 16:39, 19 February 2012 (UTC). After refurbishment pub re-opened with old Rosie at £3.80 per pint.
- The William Jameson, 30 - 32 Fawcett Street, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, SR1 1RH. Tel: (0191) 514 5016.
- The Cooper Rose, 2 - 4 Albion Place, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, SR1 3NG. Tel: (0191) 514 8530.
A Lloyd's No 1 affair, with flashing lights and crap music, and unfortunatly only Weston's perry in bottles. Not great CiderMike 14:02, 19 January 2012 (UTC) Pleased to find Gwynt y Ddraig Black Dragon on 03/03/12, but I suspect this was only got in for St. David's Day. CiderMike 17:12, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
- Ivy House, Worcester Terrace, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, SR2 7AW. Tel: (0191) 567 3399.
One real cider. Last two visits; Pure North Cider, and Thatcher's Cheddar Valley.
- Smugglers, Marine Walk, Lower Promenade, Roker, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, SR6 0PL. Tel: (0191) 514 3844.
Found Weston's Raspberry Twist on 05/06/12, but am informed that they always have one of the Weston's range on. Located between the Stadium of Light and Seaburn Metro stations, but a fair walk. CiderMike 19:48, 5 June 2012 (UTC)
- Sir William de Wessyngton, 2 - 3 Victoria Road, Concord, Washington, Tyne and Wear, NE37 2JY. Tel: (0191) 418 0100.
Pubs Delisted from the Cider Pub Guide to Tyne & Wear
- T.J. Doyles, Hanover Place, Deptford, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, SR4 6BY. Tel: (0191) 510 1554.
Had a Weston's on at one point, but bar staff thought I'd gone insane when I asked for a real cider! The Kings Arms up the road is your next nearest cider pub, see above.
- Beer House, 32 Bridge Street, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, SR1 1TQ. Tel: (0191) 565 5860.
Sadly closed down in April 2012. It did sell a few Weston's anmd for some reason dodgy cans of Black Rat and Barnstormer, both considered to be not real. Bar re-opened as a LGBT freindly establishment.
- Museum Vaults, 33 Silksworth Row, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, SR1 3QJ. Tel: (0191) 565 9443.
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|