Cider Pub Guide to Staffordshire
The guide to pubs selling Real Cider in Staffordshire. 20 entries so far ...
- The Coopers Tavern, 43 Cross Street, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, DE14 1EG. Tel: (01283) 532551.
Old-fashioned pub with an ever-changing selection of real ciders/perries - now an astonishing four available, two ciders, two perrys, all from hard-to-find craft producers. Formerly the brewery tap and still a very atmospheric little pub. Cheap, though basic, food at lunchtimes. Worth seeking out. Closed Mon/Tue lunch. Runner-up, CAMRA Cider Pub of Britain 2008. Write up and photo on the Telegraph website here.
- The Lord Burton, 154 High Street, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, DE14 1JE. Tel: (01283) 517587.
- The Devonshire Arms, 86 Station Street, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, DE14 1BT. Tel: (01283) 562392.
Westons in bottles plus occasional changing draught cider. Enjoyable food. Occasional cider festivals.
- The Oak & Ivy, 119-120 Wellington St, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, DE14 2DP. Tel: (01283) 532508.
- The Wetmore Whistle, 93 Wetmore Road, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, DE14 1SH. Tel: (01283) 515762.
Tynemill pub (formerly the Crown and Anchor). Two draught real ciders usually from Westons, Thatchers or Broadoak ranges (plus Westons Stowford Press). Basic but imaginative food - decent ploughmans and even ostrich-burgers, plus the "Whistlestop Cafe" around the back. Live music. (North of Burton Bridge, in a largely light-industrial area.)
- The Alfred, 51 Derby Street, Burton on Trent, Staffordshire, DE14 2LD. Tel: (01283) 562178.
Draught ciders available Strongbow, Thatchers Gold, Bottled ciders Thatchers Matured Oak, Spartan, Katy, Cox, Pear, Magners and Bulmers also available. Old traditional drinking pub, friendly and on the main route from Burton station to Burton Albion football grounds.
- The Leopard, 21 Market Place, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, ST6 3AA. Tel: (01782) 819644.
A great variety of ciders in a great pub full of history and peculiar "goings on". The Leopard Inn is famous as the place where Josiah Wedgwood and James Brindley met to discuss building the Trent & Mersey Canal in 1765.
- The Linford Arms, 79 High Street, Cannock, Staffordshire, WS11 1BN. Tel: (01543) 469360.
- The Black Lion, Consall Forge, Wetley Rocks, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST9 0AJ. Tel: (01782) 550294.
Famous canalside pub in an idyllic location also next to the Churnet Valley Railway. Good choice of several draught ciders and perries over past couple of months, including: Cheddar Valley, Broadoak, JJJ, and Parson's Choice. Unfortunatly, they also had the industrial Ruby Suzy made by Saxons (June 2010).
- Fox & Anchor, Brewood Road, Coven, Wolverhampton, WV9 5BX. Tel: (01902) 798786.
Sheppy's single-varietals in bottles. Canalside pub with outdoor seating and formulaic but passable food. Part of the Vintage Inns chain (characterised by terrible pub signs and the 'Inn Keeping With Tradition' slogan), but others in the chain don't seem to carry any cider other than Strongbow/Magners.
- The Swan, Fradley Junction, Near Alrewas, Staffordshire, DE13 7DN. Tel: (01283) 790330. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anchor Inn, Peggs Lane, High Offley, Woodseaves, Staffordshire, ST20 0NG. Tel: (01785) 284569.
Unbelievable "olde worlde" canalside pub in the middle of nowhere. Two small bars and a deeply-loved garden, topiary and all. Sells various types of Westons, sometimes from a box, sometimes from a bottle. The old canalside sign for the Anchor Inn - better pic needed...
- The Blue Bell Inn, 25 Hardings Wood, Kidsgrove, Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire, ST7 1EG. Tel:
(01782) 774052. Canalside real ale house on the Trent & Mersey Canal, just north of Hardings Wood Junction and Harecastle Tunnel. Varying real cider: on a recent visit, Thatchers Cheddar Valley and Moles Black Rat, plus Westons Herefordshire Country Perry. No food, just a really friendly boozer with delightfully courteous bar staff and a very welcoming atmosphere.
- Acorn Inn, 16-18 Tamworth Street, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13 6JJ. Tel: (01534) 263400.
- The Green Man, Milwich, Staffordshire, ST18 0EG. Tel: (01889) 505310.
- Wheatsheaf, 84-92 Church Street, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 1BU. Tel: (01782) 747462.
Generic Wetherspoon with the usual range.
- Gresley Arms, High Street, Alsagers Bank, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST7 8BQ. Tel: (01782) 722469.
- The Poste of Stone, 1 Granville Square, Stone, Staffordshire, ST15 8AB. Tel: (01785) 827920.
- The Swan Inn, 18 Stafford Street, Stone, Staffordshire, ST15 8QW. Tel: (01785) 815570.
- Bole Bridge, 8 Bolebridge Street, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79 7PA. Tel: (01827) 317510.
Pubs Delisted from the Cider Pub Guide to Staffordshire
- The Bull's Head, 35 St Edward Street, Leek, Staffordshire, ST13 5DN. Tel:
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|