Cider Pub Guide to South Wales
The guide to pubs selling Real Cider in South Wales, including the ceremonial counties of Gwent, Mid Glamorgan, South Glamorgan and Vale of Galmorgan. '48 listed so far...
Cider pubs in Gwent
- The Coliseum, Lion Street, Abergavenny, Gwent, NP7 5PE. Tel: (01873) 736950.
- Charterhouse Restaurant, Llanvihangel Gobion, Abergavenny, Gwent, NP7 9AY. Tel: (01873) 840414.
Ty Gwyn cider from Monmouth.
- Capel Hotel, Park Place, Bargoed, Gwent, CF81 8LW. Tel: (01443) 830272.
- Villagers Restaurant, Central Avenue, Blackwood, Gwent, NP12 0DX. Tel: (01495) 223194.
- The Bell Inn, Bulmore Road, Caerleon, Newport, Gwent, NP18 1QQ. Tel: (01633) 420613.
- The Kings Arms, 46 Cardiff Road, Caerphilly, Gwent, CF83 1JQ.
- The Black Cock Inn, Waunwaelod Way, Caerphilly, Gwent, CF83 1BD. Tel: (029) 2088 0534.
- White Cross Inn, Groeswen, Nr. Caerphilly, Gwent, CF15 7UT. Tel: (029) 2085 1332.
- Angel Inn, Grosmont, Abergavenny, Gwent, NP7 8EP. Tel: (01981) 240646.
- The Horseshoe, Mamhilad, nr. Llanover, Gwent, NP4 8QZ. Tel: (01873) 880542. Email: email@example.com
Location: OS Landranger Sheet 171; Grid Ref: 307047. Blaengawney 'Blindfold' in B-in-B, kept in wine cooler. Other Blaengawney Farm Cider products on way, including a SV. Very nice setting, beautiful scenery, peaceful, lots of walks into Brecon Beacons National Park, in which the pub is situated. For those who like a more gentle stroll, the Monmouthshire & Brecon canal is only 1/4 mile away. Dog friendly. Excellent 'modern' cuisine, though maybe a touch pricey for some? B&B to follow later this year. Also good selection of real ales & Weston's Stowford Press. NB: Website removed as it was inactive.
- John Wallace Linton, Cambrian Road, Newport, Gwent, NP20 4AD. Tel: (01633) 251752.
- The Boat, Lone Lane, Penallt, Gwent, NP25 4AJ. Tel: (01600) 712615.
Draught Orchard's Farmhouse Dry. Draught Westons. Attractive unspoilt pub on the Welsh side of the River Wye. Serving food Mon-Sun 12-2.30 Mon-sat 7-9 up to 16 ciders + perry available & upto 8 Real ales Live Music tues & thurs nights.
From the website: "We are proud to be the exlusive purveyors of local brewers Gillow's Cider, who produce Yarlington Mill, Norma Jean, Kingston Black, and they have even made our very own cider The Boat Special. We also have Weston's Old Rosie, Weston's Organic, Trogi's Cider and Perrys, along with Dolly P's Rum Barrel Conditioned Cider, and another local produced Orchard's Wye Cider. On tap there is Stowford Press Cider, Ashton Press Cider"
- The Clytha Arms, Groesonen Road, Raglan, Abergavenny, Gwent, NP7 9BW. Tel: (01873) 840206.
OS Landranger sheet 161/368088. photo Weston's Old Rosie and the landlord's own 'Clytha' perry available, also a guest cider. Real ales and excellent food, plus accommodation. The grounds of the Clytha are also home to the Welsh Cider Festival & Welsh Cider Championships each May. photo.
- The Fox & Hounds, Park Rd, Risca, Newport, Gwent, NP11 6PW. Tel: (01633) 612937.
Always at least one draught cider, often locally sourced Blaengawney or Hallets. Bottled varieties of Gwynt y Ddraig cider also available. Proper pub. Coal fire. No food, except crisps, nuts & cockles!
- The Stonemill, Rockfield, Nr. Monmouth, Gwent, NP25 5SW. Tel: (01600) 716273.
Housed in a converted 16th century barn and set in beautiful countryside, The Stonemill's impressive menu utilises locally sourced ingredients and a well chosen wine list, while the bar stocks Orchard's bottled cider.
- The Moon and Sixpence, High Street, , Nr. Chepstow, Gwent, NP16 6SG. Tel: (01291) 689284.
Draught Orchard's Farmhouse Dry. Rumours abound that the landlord is actually producing Cider, hopefully it will be ready to drink (?) in April 2006. More info when received. NB : No info on their website!
- The Wye Valley Hotel, Tintern, Nr. Chepstow, Gwent, NP16 6SQ. Tel: (01291) 689441.
Bottled Orchard's Farmhouse dry cider and Blakeney Red perry available in the bar.
- The Lion Inn, Trellech, Gwent, NP25 4PA. Tel: (01600) 860322.
Sister pub to the Moon & Sixpence above. Orchards cider ("We alternate between the dry and medium (and occasional perry) but one is always available").
- The White Hart Village Inn, Llangybi, Usk, Gwent, NP15 1NP. Tel: (01633) 450258. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gwynt Y DDraig Two Trees Perry.
- Beaufort Arms, Monkswood, Nr. Usk, Gwent, NP15 1QA. Tel: (01495) 785011.
Cider Pubs in Mid Glamorgan
- The Red Cow, 6 Merthyr Road, Llwydcoed, Aberdare, Mid Glamorgan, CF44 0YE, Tel: 01685 873924. Email: email@example.com
Westons Traditional Scrumpy and Westons Vintage Organic .
- Tynant Club, Beddau, Pontypridd, Mid Glamorgan, CF38 2DY. Tel: (01443) 202418.
Gwynt y Ddraig Ciders.
- The Coach & Horses, Cowbridge Road, Bridgend, Mid Glamorgan, CF31 3DH. Tel: (01656) 649231.
- Y Dic Penderyn, 102 High Street, Merthyr Tydfil, Mid Glamorgan, CF47 8AP. Tel: (01685) 385786.
Comfortable, dark wood-panelled Wetherspoons towards the top of the High Street. Usual range: Westons Old Rosie and Organic Vintage bag-in-a-box, plus various bottles from Westons, Sheppys and Thatchers.
- Mount Pleasant Inn, Cardiff Road, Merthyr Vale, Merthyr Tydfil, Mid Glamorgan, CF48 4TD. Tel: (01443) 693555.
Two or three varieties of Gwynt y Ddraig in bottles. Lovely guest house and pub in Merthyr Vale which does a cracking breakfast and sunday lunch. Stayed here for the International Craft Cider Festival in August 2011. CiderMike 11:36, 17 August 2011 (UTC)
- The Turberville, Chapel Road, Llanharan, Rhondda Cynon Taf, Mid Glamorgan, CF72 9QA. Tel: (01443) 222143.
- New Inn, Swan Street, Llantrisant Old Town, Rhondda Cynon Taf, Mid Glamorgan, CF72 8ED. Tel: (01443) 222232.
Gwynt y Ddraig cider.
- Wheatsheaf, High Street, Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taf, Mid Glamorgan, CF72 8BQ. Tel: (01443) 222 249
Gwynt y Ddraig cider, with live bands and a guitar club.
Cider Pubs in South Glamorgan
- The White Cross Inn, Groeswen, Caerphilly, CF15 7UT. Tel: (029) 2085 1332.
- Fagin's Ale & Chop House, 8 Cardiff Road, Taffs Well, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, CF15 7QD. Tel: (029) 2081 1800.
- The Prince of Wales, 81 - 83 St. Mary Street, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, CF10 1FA. Tel: (029) 2064 4449.
- The Earnest Willows, 2 - 12 City Road, Roath, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, CF24 3DL. Tel: (029) 2048 6235.
- The Crockerton, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, CF10 3AD. Tel: (029) 2037 5600.
- The Ivor Davies, 243 - 249 Cowbridge Road East, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, CF11 9AN. Tel: (029) 2066 7615.
Yet another Wetherspoon pub named after the actor, songwriter and composer Ivor Novello. Now always stocking at leased 1 real cider (usually Gwynt-Y-DDraig) bag-in-a-box. Note: almost always Black Dragon and sometimes one of the girly strawberry flavoured ones, the ones they can't sell during their festival.
- The Gatekeeper, 9 - 10 Westgate Street, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, CF10 1DD.
Another Weatherspoon with 5 guest ciders always available on handpull, though almost always Gwynt-Y-DDraig.
- The Aneurin Bevan, Caerphilly Road, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, CF14 4AD.
Another Wetherspoon boozer which usually 2 or 3 bag-in-a-box ciders by either Gwynt or Westons.
- The Butcher's Arms, 29 Llandaff Road, Canton, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, CF11 9NG
Weston's Old Rosie on draught.
- The Rummer Tavern, 14 Duke Street, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, CF10 1AY.
Thatcher's Heritage Cider on draught.
- The Lansdowne, Lansdowne Road, Canton, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, CF5 1PU.
Always 1 Gwynt Y DDraig bag-in-a-box on. Note: Landlady is hoping to have one permanent handpull & 1 guest in the fridge in the near future.
- Chapter Arts Centre, Market Road, Canton, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, CF5 1QE.
- Buffalo Bar, 11 Windsor Place, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, CF10 3BY. Tel: (029) 2031 0312.
- Brains pubs in Cardiff (of which there are many) all appear to stock bottles of Gwynt y Ddraig Orchard Gold which isn't cheap; we paid £3.75 per bottle at the Cottage (St Mary Street) in Jan 2009!
- The Vale Of Glamorgan Inn, 53 High Street, Cowbridge, South Glamorgan, CF71 7AE. Tel: (01446) 772252.
Cider Pubs in Vale of Glamorgan
- Old Swan Inn, Church Street, Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan, CF61 1SB. Tel: (01446) 792230
Gwynt y Ddraig cider.
- Illtuds 216, Prospect House, Church Street, Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan, CF61 1SB. Tel: 0871 5292500.
Restaurant with live acoustic music some nights. Gwynt y Ddraig cider.
- The Carne Arms, Llysworney, Nr. Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan, CF71 7NQ. Tel: (01446) 773553.
An S.A Brains pub selling Hallets.
- Plough & Harrow, Monknash, Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan, CF71 7QQ. Tel: (01656) 890209.
Gwynt y Ddraig cider.
- Bunch of Grapes, Ynysangharad Road, Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taf, Vale of Glamorgan, CF37 4DA. Tel: (01443) 402934.
Cider Pubs in West Glamorgan
- Bank Statement, 57 - 58 Wind Street, Swansea, West Glamorgan, SA1 1EP. Tel: (01792) 455477.
Pubs Delisted from the Cider Pub Guide to South Wales
- The Ninian Park, Leckwith Road, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, CF11 8HH. Tel: (029) 2064 4414
- The Tredegar Arms, Caerphilly Road, Bassaleg, Newport, NP10 8LE. Tel: (01633) 893247.
- Queen Victoria Inn, Prince Street, Blaenavon, Monmouthshire, NP4 9BD. Tel: 01495 791652.
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|