Cider Pub Guide to Somerset
The guide to pubs selling Real Cider in Somerset. 74 so far...
- The Old Pound Inn, Aller, Langport, Somerset, TA10 0RA. Tel: (01458) 250469.
- The Railway, Station Road/ Ashcott Road, Glastonbury, BA6 9SX. Tel: (01458) 860223.
Located in an isolated spot 1.5 miles outside the village. Local pub at the site of the old railway station beside the disused canal. Sells Wilkins cider & Taunton Natch. Open 16:30 - midnight Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri. 12:00 - midnight Wed, Sat & Sun. Transport enthusiasts may like the collection of old canal and railway photos. On the cycle path from Glastonbury to Westhay, a nice ride through the reed-beds. Cheapest cider in the area at £2.10/pt for Wilkins (4/13).
- The Ring O' Bells, High Street, Ashcott, Bridgwater, Somerset, TA7 9PZ. Tel: (01458) 210232. Email: email@example.com
Stocks Wilkins cider -Kept hidden away so do ask. Range of food inc. Vegetarian. Bookcase, newspapers, & gardens. 400m from Bristol-Glastonbury-Bridgewater bus route.
- Red Lion, Babcary, Somerton, Somerset, TA11 7ED. Tel: (01458) 223230.
Fantastic thatched village gastro pub located just off the A37 between Lydford - on - Fosse and Podimore with restaurant, leather sofas and open fires. Regularly has Fosseway Cider's Somerset Glory. Not always on display so always ask if they have it!
Barton St. David
- Barton Inn, Main Street, Barton St. David, Somerton, Somerset, TA11 6BZ. Tel: (01458) 850451.
Located about 5 miles SE of Street. Sells Wilkins Cider on tap. Food, inc. vegetarian. Open 12-2, 4-11 Mon -Fri, 12-11 weekends. Mentioned by Camera 'Pints West' Cider Sisters in the Spring 2006 edition. Bus service.
- The West Gate, Westgate Street, Bath, Somerset, BA1 1EL. Tel: (01225) 461642.
Three or four varying real draught ciders in a friendly, modern pub. Take a look at the pubs website for a cider list.
- The Pig & Fiddle, 2 Saracen Street, Bath, Somerset, BA1 5BR. Tel: (01225) 460868.
Sells Bulmers Traditional. Big shed like pub, bit like an old Firkin. Sanded floors and sports memorabilia on the walls. Good burgers. No kids.
Now owned by Butcombe so not sure what cider is stocked now
- The Victoria, Millmead Road, Bath, Somerset, BA2 3JW. Tel: (01225) 425903.
A local pub in Oldfield Park, near South Avenue, sells Thatchers.
- The Trinity, James Street West, Bath, Somerset, BA1 2DA. Tel: (01225) 400042.
- The Salamander, 3 John Street, Bath, Somerset, BA1 2JL. Tel: (01225) 428889.
Sells real cider.
- The Bell, 103 Walcot Street, Bath, Somerset, BA1 5BW. Tel: (01225) 460426.
The rough side of town and no draught cider but does Weston's Organic in bottles and the industrial cider Stowford Press. 7 real ales plus a pleasant vegetarian sausage roll. Liable to get full of 'young people'.
- The Volunteer Rifleman's Arms, 3 New Bond Street, Bath, Somerset, BA1 1BH. Tel: (01225) 425210.
- Ye Olde Farmhouse, 1 Lansdown Road, Bath, Somerset, BA1 5EE. Tel: (01225) 316162.
- The Raven, 7 Queen Street, Bath, Somerset, BA1 1HE. Tel: (01225) 425045.
Free house family run and a CAMRA 'pub of the year' in 2006. Bit of a corridor downstairs and piped muzak, but there is more room and another bar upstairs. They promise to have a draught cider on all the time, normally one of the Weston's range, 'Old Rosie' or 'Scrumpy' Bottles of Weston's Organic also available. When we went they had New Forest 'Snake Catcher' on draught! Wonderful!.(£2.65 a pint, but you don't need very many....) Also do excellent pies from 'Pieminister' of Bristol plus about 5 real ales. Lovely pub.
- Porters, 15 George Street, Bath, Somerset, BA1 2EN. Tel: (01225) 424104.
- King Of Wessex, Kingsmead Leisure Complex, James Street West, Bath, Somerset, BA1 2BX. Tel: (01225) 303380.
- The Garrick's Head, St. John's Place, Bath, Somerset, BA1 1ET. Tel: (01225) 318368.
Located next to the Theatre Royal, has Burrow Hill on draught.
- The Royal Oak, 8 - 10 Summerleys Place, Bath, Somerset, BA2 4HN. Tel: (01225) 335220.
Located on the Lower Bristol Road. Has one draught cider (regularly changed) as well as up to 12 real ales.
- The Ram at Widcombe, 20 Claverton Buildings, Bath, Somerset, BA2 4LD. Tel: (01225) 421938.
Located just across the river from the station. has Thatcher's Traditional on draught. Recently done up. Stone walls, wood floor, church pews, scrubbed pine & oak tables friendly staff and nice atmosphere, free cash machine. 5 or so real ales small menu (no blackboard) big tellies.
- Old Green Tree, 12 Green Street, Bath, Somerset, BA1 2JZ. Tel: (01225) 448259.
- The Bicknoller Inn, 32 Church Road, Bicknoller, Taunton, Somerset, TA4 4EL. Tel: (01984) 656234.
A 14th century village inn with stone floors, wooden beams and real log fires. Thatcher's Traditional on draught. Duncan Shine
- The Horse & Jockey Inn, Binegar Lane, Gurney Slade, Radstock, Somerset, BA3 4UH. Tel: (01749) 840537.
- The Queen Adelaide, High Street, Blagdon, Somerset, BS40 7RA. Tel: (01761)462573.
Thatchers Traditional on draught.
- Bristol & Exeter Inn, 135 St. John Street, Bridgwater, Somerset, TA6 5JA. Tel: (01278) 423722.
Review 1: Faintly unbelievable pub a stone's throw from the station - we walked past it several times before finding it. Just like someone (very scruffy) front room, this is a true cider house with peeling decor and a wide range of cider. Landlord is not shy in telling you what he thinks of each cider (complimentary or not). Definitely an experience!
Review 2: I had a weird experience here last year, I ordered 2 pints of cider, can't remember whose cider I asked for, but they were different (say one Thatchers and one Wilkins). The surprise was, they were both served from the same pump! I asked the landlord what was going on, and he told me THEY MIX IT! Honest, that's what he said.
- Halfway Inn, Westonzoyland Road, Bridgwater, Somerset, TA7 0HZ. Tel: (01278) 444905.
The (NEW) Halfway Inn which is being revitalised by the new owners, now has several good ciders on offer. They are actively sourcing the local (Somerset) brew and their latest addition is Parson's Choice. They also stock real ales. Definitely worth a visit.
- The Kicking Donkey, Brokerswood, Westbury, Wiltshire, BA13 4EG. Tel: (01373) 823250. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Traditional country pub, fine food, see website. Thatcher's Cheddar Valley. Just down the road from the 'Full Moon' at Rudge q.v.
- Burtle Inn Family Bar & Restaurant, Eastcote Road, Burtle, Somerset, TA7 8NG. Tel: (01278) 722269.
Has it's own cider made from apples grown in the orchard behind the pub, probably the last pub in England to do this, but it is not always available. "Staff may refuse to serve the house cider to customers who are going to drive afterwards" allegedly. Serves a wide range of freshly cooked upmarket foods, inc. mussels & vegetarian meals. Camping in the orchard.Open all day 7 days a week. Varied comments and reports have been posted about this pub and the camping offered. Suggest that a search be done before committing yourself if a long journey is involved.
- Riverside Inn, The Cliffs, Cheddar, Somerset, BS27 3PX. Tel: (01934) 742452.
Thatchers Traditional cider, food.
- Galleries Inn, The Cliffs, Cheddar, Somerset, BS27 3QA. Tel: (01934) 744796.
Thatchers Traditional cider, food.
- West Country Ales Off Licence, The Cliffs, Cheddar, Somerset, BS27 3QA. Tel: (01934) 742435 or 07825349776.
Off-license with a range of bottled ciders including Burrow Hill, Thatchers, Millwhites, Bridge Farm and Fosseway Cider, and with polypins of Wilkins dry, medium & sweet ciders - dispensed into your own container or into 5-litre ones which they sell.
- White Hart, 'Horse pond', Fore Street, Castle Cary, Somerset, BA7 7BQ. Tel: (01963) 350255.
Serves Thatchers Traditional. Open all afternoon. Children allowed 10:00 - 16:30. Food £5 - £8. Breakfast served 10:000- 12;00 Mon - Sat.
- Yew Tree, Pilgrims Way, chew Stoke, Somerset, BS40 8TX. Tel: (01275) 331523.
Located round the back of village near the church. Thatchers served from gallon containers. Good local pub, children and dog friendly, open from 12:00 - 11:00 every day. Good food served at mealtimes.
- Stoke Inn, Bristol Road, Chewstoke, BS40 8XE. Tel: (01275) 331744.
- The Crown Inn, Skinners Lane, Churchill, Somerset, BS25 5PP. Tel: (01934) 852995.
Thatchers Traditional and Mendip Magic on draught. A ramshackle old pub full of character, with great roast beef sandwiches and a happy mixed clientele of sixth formers, farmers and other assorted locals. Google Map Link
- Black Horse, Clevedon Lane, Clapton-in-Gordano, Somerset, BS20 7RH. Tel: (01275) 842105.
Lovely old unspoilt country pub with flagstone floors, once a favourite of cider-drinking legend Adge Cutler, with good food and of course real cider from (Thatchers) and the slightly sweeter Black Rat! Paul Cunningham
- The Old Inn, Pauls Causeway, Congresbury, Somerset, BS49 5DH. Tel: (01934) 832270.
- The Queens Arms, Corton Denham, nr. Sherborne, Somerset, DT9 4LR. Tel: (01963) 220317.
- The Railway Tavern, South Street, Crewkerne, Somerset, TA18 8AE. Tel: (01460) 73270.
- The White Hart Inn, 4 East Street, Crewkerne, Somerset, TA18 7LW. Tel: (01460) 74153.
Town centre pub serves Thatchers Traditional.
- ? The Trotter Inn, Crickham, Wedmore, Somerset, BS28 4JU. Tel: (01934) 712530.
- Dinnington Docks, Fosse Way, Dinnington, Hinton St. George, nr Illminster, Somerset, TA17 8SX. Tel: (01460) 52397.
- Foresters Arms, West Street, Dunster, Somerset, TA24 8RN. Tel: (01643) 821313.
Friendly, down-to-earth inn, a short walk from the main shopping area of Dunster. Very talkative Parrot in residence! Thatchers Cheddar Valley and bottled Scratch (Med/Dry) and Lanes (Dry) from West Monkton Cider.
- Luttrell Arms, High Street, Dunster, Somerset, TA24 6SG. Tel: (01643) 821555.
- Dunster Village Shop & Deli, 11 High Street, Dunster, Somerset, TA24 6SF. (01643) 822078.
- White Horse Inn Chapel Street, Exford.
Thatchers Traditional on handpump. Nice riverside garden. Food not tried, but looked good.
- Tuckers Grave Inn, Faulkland, Radstock, Bath, Somerset, BA3 5XF. Tel: (01373) 834230.
Located on A366 1 mile east of Faulkland village. A stunningly unspoilt pub which successfully retains the feel of a country local as many would have been fifty or a hundred years ago. No bar, with barrels piled in the snug. Friendly staff and welcoming locals. Initially closed on 31st May 2011 after Ivan & Glenda Swift retired, see here and here, but on 16th August the Swifts came out of retirement as they missed the pub! There's a nice write up about the place here.
- Faulkland Inn, Faulkland, Radstock, Somerset, BA3 5UH. Tel: (01373) 834340.
Located in the village of Faulkland itself BA3 5UH. The Faulkland has just undergone a major refurbishment to save the historic 18th Century building from the ravages of time, there is a new kitchen for renowned Caribbean chef David Cummins to produce his mouth watering Caribbean dishes and traditional Somerset fare, stocks Thatchers Cider plus much more.
- The Sun Inn, 6 Catherine Street, Frome, Somerset, BA11 1DA. Tel: (01373) 471913.
- The Lamb, 1 Christchurch Street East, Frome, Somerset, BA11 1QA. Tel: (01373) 472042.
Reopened in Jan 2008 after a takeover and total re-fit by local lads, 'Blindman's Brewery' and sell their full range of ales. Still sorting themselves out as regards food and atmosphere - a bit bare and minimalist inside. Rich's medium on hand pump. They told me that they were 'selling loads' and will always have a real cider of some description.
- The Lamb & Fountain, 57 Castle Street, Frome, Somerset, BA11 3BW. Tel: (01373) 463414.
Run by 'mother' who has been there since it was built c 1690. Untouched since the 1950's. Fantastic pub has to be seen to be believed. Like Tuckers Grave without the tourists. Rich's from barrel behind the bar, also Natch. Maybe a packet of crisps on a good day. (Disabled people be warned there are steep curving stairs to the toilets - it is an old building).
- The Crown & Sceptre, 38 Trinity Street, Frome, Somerset, BA11 3DE. Tel: (01373) 464370.
- King Arthur 31 Benedict St. Website. . This legendary cider pub is back! After several years selling chemofizz, it has new owners who have reintroduced Wilkins cider (now offered in dry, med or sweet varieties) and Gurt Dog, a tasty dry straw-pressed cider from a local farmer. They also have marketing marvel Orchard Pig They do good food but have taken to playing loud muzac when they do not have live bands on.
- The Rifleman, 4 Chilkwell Street, Glastonbury, Somerset, BA6 8DB. Tel: (01458) 831023.
Location.Wilkins, ask for it, it is served although there is nothing to show this: the barrel is hidden in a back room. Good base for a walk up the Tor. Serving food but only lunchtimes and the evenings when they do not have live music. Open until midnight Fri & Sat. Folk sessions 1st & 3rd Mondays of each month and jazz on the 2nd and 4th Mondays.
- Beckets Inn High Street, Glastonbury, Somerset, BA6 9DS. Tel: (01458) 832928.
Westons Traditional cider. Invites drinkers to bring takeaways in. Bookcase in back room.
- Knights Fish and Chips, 5 Northload Street, Glastonbury, Somerset, BA6 9JJ. Tel: (01458) 831882.
Serves Wilkins cider with meals in the restaurant (but not with take-away). There is nothing to show this until you are right inside the building, but it is there.
- Co-op OL, 32 - 34 High Street, Glastonbury, Somerset, BA6 9DX. Tel: (01458) 831003.
- Artisan OL, 33 High Street, Glastonbury, Somerset, BA6 9HT. Tel: (01458) 832116.
Not a pub, but this delicatessen and off-license Stocks local bottled ciders & perries & mead.
- Travellers Rest A37 Fosseway, Hornblotton, Nr. East Pennard, Somerset, BA4 6RY. Tel: (01749) 860069
Regular cider is Fosseway Cider's Somerset Glory, also had Badger Spit on my last visit. Great little pub on the A37 between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet, and on the cycle route between Glastonbury & Castle Cary station. Good food, inc. good vegi range.. Resident skittle, darts and pool teams and regular quizzes.
- New Inn, Halse, Taunton, Somerset, TA4 3AF. Tel: (01823) 432352.
Reported to sell Sheppy's. Not visited. Can anyone confirm ?
- Rose & Crown (a.k.a. 'Eli's'), Huish Episcopi, Langport, Somerset, TA10 9QT. Tel: (01458) 250494.
Located on the A372 (main road through village), 1.5 miles from Langport. Folk session 3rd Sat of the month Sept - May. Originally a farmhouse, and still retains its Edwardian decor and furnishings. No bar - the drinks are served in the former kitchen/scullery. Been in the same family for generations. Google Map Review of the pub
Eileen passed away, she will be sorely missed by a lot of people but hopefully Eli's will remain the same.
18/08/2009 the Burrow Hill cider is now pressurised and served through a keg font. I presume top pressure as I don't believe they have kegging facilities at the farm, but thats just guesswork. The furnishings appear to have been at least partly updated - in one room at least the old tables have been replaced by newer versions.
- The Trout Tavern, 46 Temple Street, Keynsham, North East Somerset, BS31 1EH. Tel: (0117) 986 2754.
- Wyndham Arms, Folly Road. Kingsbury Episcopi, Somerset, TA12 6AT. Tel: (01935) 823239.
Village pub that sells Burrow Hill cider.
- see Pitney, just outside Langport.
- see Huish Episcopi, just outside Langport.
- The Miners Rest, 42 Providence Lane, Long Ashton, Bristol, Somerset, BS41 9DJ. Tel: (01275) 393 449.
Popular spot with locals and mountain bikers alike (few minutes ride from top end of Ashton Court), most famous for it's fine views over Ashton Vale, although they have sold a large chunk of the beer garden/orchard for development, but the upper terrace will be re-instated once steps are replaced. Sells Thatchers Traditional and Black Rat.
- Poulett Arms, Lopenhead, South Petherton, TA13 5JH. Tel: (01460) 241716.
- Packhorse Inn, Church Street, Mark, Highbridge, Somerset, TA9 4NF. Tel: (01278) 641209.
Wilkins - ask for it, as it is not on display.
- The Kings Head, Church Street, Merriott, Somerset, TA16 5PR. Tel: (01460) 72973.
Thatchers Cheddar Valley available. Cosy country pub serves food. Nov 2007
No real cider appears to be available in Minehead's pubs, but a wide range of bottled and jugged ciders are available from the Minehead Cider Co (The Avenue), a shop close to the seafront, and the West Somerset Railway station
The range includes: Lyme Bay, Palmershayes, Perry's, Sheppy's and a good own label cider which is also available from the buffet of trains on the West Somerset Railway. The place is pricy - Old Rosie was £2.85/bottle.
- Montacute Working Mens Club, The Hall, Bishopton, Montacute, Somerset, TA15 6UX. Tel: (01935) 823376.
- Half Moon, Main Street, Mudford, Somerset, BA21 5TF. Tel: (01935) 850289.
- The Bird In Hand, 1 Queen Square, North Curry, near Langport, Somerset, TA3 6LT. Tel: (01823) 490248.
Beautiful country pub serving good quality food. Parsons Choice cider available on draught. June 2008
Peasedown St. John
- The Wagon and Horses, 41 Bath Road, Peasedown St. John, Bath, Somerset, BA2 8DL. Tel: (01761) 437250.
A Gurt barn of a place badly in need of Sarah Beeney, where the locals spend their giro's but a fine pint of Cheddar Valley.
- Rising Sun, Church Street, Pensford, Someset, BS39 4AQ. Tel: (01761) 490402.
Friendly local at the bottom of the village with pleasant riverside garden and draught Thatchers. Paul Gunningham
- Halfway House, Pitney Hill, Langport, Somerset, TA10 9AB. Tel: (01458) 252513.
Hecks cider & perry, sometimes Wilkins & other guests. Food. Situated on the B3513 halfway between the small towns of Langport and Somerton, an excellent pub with draught and bottled ciders and perries from Hecks. The lovely garden was relatively Wasp-free when we visited! Located on Taunton - Somerton - Yeovil bus route (approx hourly - timetable). Offers free camping in pub garden and local field with access to a toilet and shower around the back of the pub.
An absolute gem.
- Hunters Lodge Inn, Priddy, Wells, Somerset, BA5 3AR. Tel: (01749) 672275.
Located at crossroads 1.5 miles East of village, view map here. If you ask for 'cider' here you will get Wilkins, not a fizzy stuff also kept (but rarely seen being consumed). Local ale also outsells lager. Good food at very good prices, inc. vegi.
This is a very good traditional pub: open fires, stone floors, no music or gaming machines. Switch mobiles off before entering as the landlord cannot abide them!
Described by one Tolkien-fan visitor as 'the nearest thing on Earth to the Prancing Pony at Bree'.
Open 12-2.30, 6:30-11. Appears closed even when it is open, so look closely. About 40 mins walk from the Bristol - Wells - Glastonbury bus. Timetable, runs until about 23:00 (to Wells, the late buses to Glastonbury were recently cut). Get off at Priddy Lane End.
- New Inn, Priddy Green, Priddy, Wells, Somerset, BA5 3BB. Tel: (01749) 676465.
Located at the Village Green in the heart of Priddy. Serves Wilkins & Thatchers ciders. Run by Dez, Maxine, Rose and Steve. Refurbished to a high standard. All meats locally sourced. New menu for each season, with speciality dishes from the "Chef" Dean every first Thursday of the Month. Vegetarian options are avalible and we have a Sunday Carvery. The New Inn also has a music night every Wednesday. Children are allowed.
NOTE: Steve, Dez & Co no longer run this pub and I am not sure if they still have the great selection of ciders they used to.
[delisted] The Queen Victoria Inn, Priddy. Closed, doomed to become an executive residence.
- Plume of Feathers, Leg Lane, Rickford, Somerset, BS40 7AH. Tel: (01761) 462682.
- The Full Moon, Lower Rudge, Frome, Somerset, BA11 2QF. Tel: (01373) 830936.
Fine country pub with good food, accommadation and Thatcher's Dry on tap.
- The Apple Tree Inn, Shoscombe nr Bath and Radstock, Somerset, BA2 8LS. Tel: (01761) 432263.
A lovely pub in country surroundings. Varied menu includes good variety from a cheese roll to Zebra steaks. Patio area, kids play area. Does not open Monday or Tuesday lunchtimes. They had 4 real ales, Cheddar Valley and Weston's Traditional on handpump plus Thatchers Gold and Thatchers Dry on tap.
- The Half Moon Inn, Ham Hill Road, Stoke-Sub-Hamdon, Somerset, TA14 6RL. Tel: (01935) 824890.
Village centre locals pub, at the bottom of the road to Ham Hill. Skittles, doms, pool. Live music sat. Customers likely to wear leather jackets and / or skirts. Last time I was there it was selling both Bridge Farm and Burrow Hill Cider.
NB: this is not the same Ham Hill or the same Half Moon Inn as at Somerton.
- The Prince of Wales, Ham Hill Country Park, Stoke-Sub-Hamdon, Somerset, TA14 6RW. Tel: (01935) 822848.
Isolated hilltop pub in the middle of Ham Hill Country Park. Stone floor, dogs and walkers welcome. Separate restaurant area, which previously was a chapel for the quarrymen. Sells Berrow Hill cider and a range of local real ales. Cellar has a 150+ foot deep roman well in the cellar, but you wont be able to see that (or the three other wells) as the landlord probably doesn't know its there. Good place to rest after exploring the extensive walks around the hill - the biggest British Iron Age hill camp.Google Map Archealogical excavations in the lean-to sheds at the back discovered bones of young infants, presumably dating back to the days when the outbuildings doubled as the local poorhouse for unmarried mothers. Was the drinking haunt of "Foister", a murderer/footpad/highwayman who preyed on travellers on the London-Exeter road and is said to be the last man gibbeted alive in England. His ghost can sometimes be seen at the nearby Batemore Barn, where he was left to die close to the scene of his last murder: the hollow-way now known as "Foister's Gully" <-- Interesting, but any info on the cider???
Well if you drink enough of the cider, you're more likely to see the ghost!!!!
- The Travellers Rest Fosse Way, Stone, East Pennard, Shepton Mallet. Somerset Glory cider. Located on the Roman road from Shepton Mallet to Ilchester, (aka the A37) just outside the hamlet of Stone, this well-named house makes a good rest stop on the cycle route between Glastonbury and Castle Cary station. Food (£8 - £12), newspaper rack, garden.
Stratton on the Fosse
- The White Post Inn, Stratton-on-the-Fosse, Radstock, Somerset, BA3 4QA. Tel: (01761) 413394. Email: email@example.com
Biggish pub on the main road. sells Thatchers Dry on tap. piped musak and faded 1970's decor.Pub Grub but well cooked and tons of it. Has Butcombe bitter + guest ales. Only really worth a mention because down a little side road opposite is Red House Farm holiday homes. This has a farm shop at the entrance which does butter eggs and cheese, BUT also has two huge vats that dispense Thatchers Cheddar Valley, dry & medium. The day-glo orange fluid is piped from the 300 gallon vats into two large glass containers and from there into any container you care to bring along. A 40 pint barrel is only £28 if you bring your own, or + £15 deposit on one of theirs.Be sure to have a taste before you buy, although stocks are vast, turnover is slow with all that that might entail. The sort of place the locals go......
- Black Horse, 36 Bridge Street, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 1UD. Tel: (01823) 272151.
- Coal Orchard, 30 - 32 Bridge Street, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 1TX. Tel: (01823) 447330.
- County Stores, 52 North Street, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 1ND. Tel: (01823) 272235.
Excellent 'village' store with downstairs cafe, in the very centre of Taunton. A wide range of bottled and jugged ciders including: Burrow Hill, Heron Valley, Lyme Bay, Sheppys, and the full range of Somerset Cider Brandys.
- Perkin Warbeck, 22 – 23 East Street, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 3LP. Tel: (01823) 335830.
- The Plough Inn, 75 Station Road, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 1PB. Tel: (01823) 324404.
Cosy cider house with a fantastic variety of all kinds of scrumpy cider, usually up to 8 choices going at once. Regulars are Fosseway Cider's Somerset Glory, Sheppy's, Janet's Jungle Juice and Trickster. Cannot recommend it enough.
- The Pub at Wanstrow, Station Road, Wanstrow, nr Shepton Mallet, Somerset, BA4 4SZ. Tel: (01749) 850455.
Freehouse owned and run by Paul & Daria Stevens. Small booklined pub with saloon & public bars, small garden, skittle alley, bar billiards, but no piped music or gaming machines. Up to 5 real ales constantly changing. Restaurant area with home made food. Saloon can contain a few ageing public school types, the landlord can be grumpy and is not at his best in the mornings, but all in all an excellent traditional pub. Does Thatchers dry and Cheddar Valley medium, all well kept in a shed out the back - ask for it.
- Torre Cider Farm, Washford, Watchet, Somerset, TA23 0LA. Tel: (01984) 640004.
The Tearoom at Torre cider farm is fully licensed, and therefore you can enjoy a glass or two of the cider in the tearoom, veranda or garden. Follow the brown tourist signs marked "cider farm" from the main A39 at Washford between Williton and Minehead.
- White Horse Inn, Abbey Road, Washford, Somerset, TA23 0PR. Tel: (01984) 640415.
- London Inn, Market Street, Watchet, Somerset, TA23 0AN. Tel: (01984) 631880.
Bottled Scratch (Med/Dry) and Lanes (Dry) from West Monkton Cider.
- Pebbles Bar & Restaurant, 24 Market Street, Watchet, Somerset, TA23 0AN. Tel: (01984) 633831. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sells Thatchers Cheddar Valley (£2.00 pt) on draught and Thatchers Katy, Thatchers Cox's, Thatchers Old Rascal, Henneys Dry, Wychwood Green Goblin and Weston's Old Rosie in bottles. Free wi-fi access. Dogs on leads welcome during the day. Good Somerset fare & Good value for money. Roast lunch on Sunday.
- The New Inn, Combe Batch, Wedmore, Somerset, BS28 4DU. Tel: (01934) 712099.
Stone built village local with bar food and restaurant. Wilkins Medium cider. Sadly the fine willow tree in the garden has been chopped down recently. New managers have extended the hours - now open all lunchtimes - and still sell Wilkins cider at £2.80/pt. Apparently there was a bit of a scene when Roger Wilkins called in and they tried charging him that for the cider he'd supplied at 45p/pt. Food, inc, vegi.
For real cider near Wells see under Wookey Hole or Priddy. Beware of the City Arms claiming to sell "numerous ciders" - it just sells lots of brands of chemofizz.
- The Fox & Badger, Railway Lane, Wellow, Bath, Somerset, BA2 8QG. Tel: (01225) 832293.
Image Larger Image Thatcher's Cheddar Valley on draught, plus a couple of real ales. An intimate 16th Century pub set in one of Somerset's most picturesque villages, just six miles from Bath. A traditional pub atmosphere with real log fires and great food. The landlord is a former Master Cheesemaker and they pride themselves on their Ploughman's Lunches, but I recommend the venison casserole or the game pie.
- Bird in Hand, Main Road, Westhay, Glastonbury, Somerset, BA6 9TN. Tel: (01458) 860229.
Wilkins cider, also sold Roger Wilkins' excellent cheese in rolls on my last visit. Open 18:00 - 23:30 Mon -Wed, 12:00 - 14:30 & 18:00 - 23:30 Thur, 12:00 - 00:30 Fri, 12:00 - 22:30, Sat 12:00 - 23:00 Sun. On Chedder - Glastonbury - Street bus route Bakers Coaches 668 which also passes near Wilkins' farm.
April 2014 - the pub is currently closed, but locals believe it may reopen.
N.B. The Countryman pub at Meare 1.5 miles East of Westhay, formerly a cider house, has been knocked down.
- Crossways Inn, Withy Road, West Huntspill, Somerset, TA9 3RA. Tel: (01278) 783756.
Located on the A38 just south of Highbridge. OS Landranger sheet 132/311454. Rich's cider from polypins (only about 2 1/2 miles from Rich's cider farm). Also real ales, very good food and accomodation.
- Off the Rails, Station Approach, Station Road, Weston Super Mare, Somerset, BS23 1XY. Tel: (01934) 415109.
- The Apple Tree (aka 'Appletree Inn') A361, Sticklynch, West Pennard. Bottled Hecks cider and perry, no draft real cider. Located outside the village by the site of the old Somerset & Dorset railway station. Mainly a food pub.
- Forester's Arms Hotel, 55 Long Street, Somerset, TA4 4QY. Tel: (01984) 632508.
Basic, friendly hotel bar, a short walk from the West Somerset Railway station on the road into Williton. Rich's dry cider on handpump, plus bottled Scratch (Med/Dry) and Lanes (Dry) from West Monkton Cider.
- Uncle Tom's Cabin, 51 High Street, Wincanton, Somerset, BA9 9JU. Tel: (01963) 32790.
Thatchers Traditional in traditional thatched pub. Not a place to take your new bride on honeymoon, but a cracking Somerset pub. The locals are down to earth people, interested in horse racing and the effects of alchol on their minds. Great pub. Couldn't agree more with the previous comment. One of the Bristol bikers.
- Seymour Arms, Witham Friary, Somerset, BA11 5HF. Tel: (01749) 850742.
Unforgettable cider house in a little hamlet. Rich's Cider at ridiculously low prices. Unspoilt interior (on CAMRA's National Inventory) plus an idyllic beer garden. A must-visit.
- The Wookey Hole Inn, Wookey Hole, outside Wells, Somerset, BA5 1BP. Tel: (01749) 676677.
Wilkins cider. This is one of Somerset's biggest surprises. A few owners ago, it was transformed from dark, spit and sawdust to light and airy, with a cheerful log fire and dishy waiters and waitresses to match. Now owned by two Harley-Davidson-riding brothers, Mick and Rick Davey, it's an absolute must-stop place. Imaginative food with excellent local ingredients from Rick's hand in the kitchen served on huge plates. Famous Hallowe'en party and jazz on Sunday lunchtimes. As well as Wilkins cider - with a cheery picture of Roger attached on the font - they also stock Belgian fruit beer. They also have five wonderfully quirky bedrooms.
- The Old Barn, Wraxall, Somerset, BS48 1BU. Tel: (01275) 819011.
Real Ale and cider pub in a converted stone barn selling Thatchers Premium. Has flagstone floors, exposed stone walls, interesting old tables and chairs, and a fascinating assortment of prints, books, ornaments and bric-a-brac. Proprietor Tony Fey. The Old Barn stands in its own grounds back from the B3130 just outside Nailsea, see here. Cider festivals some bank holidays, eg May 28th 2006
- Canal Inn, Wrantage, Taunton, Somerset, TA3 6DF. Tel: (01823) 480210.
- Woodborough Inn, Sandford Road, Winscombe, Somerset, BS25 1HD. Tel: (01934) 844167.
Close to the High St, with a wide range of food and Thatchers Heritage on tap. Sept 2008.
- Plough Inn, High Street, Wrington, Somerset, BS40 5QA. Tel: (01934) 862871.
- The William Dampier, 97 Middle Street, Yeovil, Somerset, BA20 1LW. Tel: (01935) 412533.
Typical large Wetherspoons pub selling Westons Old Rosie on draught. Google map
Brief biography of William Dampier First man to circumnavigate the world three times - one hundred years before Captain Cook
- The Quicksilver Mail, 168 Hendford Hill, Yeovil, Somerset, BA20 2RG. Tel: (01935) 424721.
According to the "Ciderspace" Yeovil Football Club supporters website "The ... Quicksilver Mail has been making real efforts in the last few years and now appears in good pub guides, particularly real ale ones. It is also one of the fewer and fewer outlets in the town that does proper farmhouse style cider. Food lunchtimes and evenings, and well behaved children and dogs are welcome."
Original posting at http://www.ciderspace.co.uk/features/bluffers-directions.htm
The original Quicksilver Mail was a London-Exeter stagecoach which called at the pub.
Pubs Delisted from the Cider Pub Guide to Somerset
- George & Pilgrim, 1 High Street, Glastonbury, Somerset.
Delisted as has now stopped stocking Hecks cider.
- The Rummer, 6 New Market Row, Grand Parade, Bath, Somerset, BA2 4HN.
Formerly sold Westons, but delisted as it is now believed to be an Italian style Bar/Restaurant.
- The Angel, just off the market place, Frome, Somerset.
- The Poachers Pocket, Chelynch, Doulting, near Shepton Mallet, Somerset, BA4 4PY. Tel: (01749) 880220.
- The Half Moon Inn, West Street, Somerton, Somerset, TA11 6QQ. Tel: (01458) 272401.
Had draught Burrow Hill but last reports says it is boarded up, therefore it has been delisted.
- City Arms, High Street, Wells, Somerset.
- The Pipers Inn, 70 Bath Road, Ashcott, Somerset, TA7 9QL. Tel: (01458) 210030. Email:email@example.com
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|