Cider Pub Guide to Hampshire
The guide to pubs selling Real Cider in Hampshire. 25 entries' so far..
- The Bell, 12 West Street, Alresford, Hampshire, SO42 9AT. Tel: (01962) 732429.
- The Naked Grape(OL), 20 West Street, Alresford, Hampshire, SO24 9AT. Tel: (01962) 732002.
Wine merchant selling four varieties of Mr Whitehead's Cider in bottles.
See under Titchbourne and Cheriton for nearby village pubs.
- The Selborne Arms, see under Selbourne.
- The Railway Arms, Ansty Road, Alton, Hampshire, GU34 2RB. Tel: (01420) 82218.
(Opposite the turning off the main street for the station. Not 'The Railway' pub on the corner). Mr Whiteheads Cider in bottles, and Addlestones on tap. Does not have Swamp Donkey cider, despite the large poster for it.
- The Cavern Bar, Community Centre, Alton, Hampshire.
- The Royal Oak, Lasham, Near Alton, Hampshire, GU34 5SJ. Tel: (01256) 381213.
- The Sun Inn, Bentworth, Near Alton, Hampshire, GU34 5JT. Tel: (01420) 562338.
- The Pub with No Name (aka White Horse), Priors Dean, Barnet Side Lane, Petersfield, GU32 1DA. Tel: (01420) 588387.
Bottled Mr Whiteheads perry. Remote rural pub with wood fire and wooden settles with comfy cushions. Officially the 'White Horse, it has been known as 'The Pub with No Name' as the old hanging sign at the crossroads fell down years ago and was not replaced. Barnetside is an area of dispersed setlement, not a village, so is not on signposts. Use a map to find this house. Open: Mon - Thur 12:00 - 15:00, 18:00 - 23:00. Fri - Sun 12:00 - 23:00. Food 12:00 - 14:30, 18:30 - 21:30 every day. Location (close up) Location (area). Camping site in the pub garden, £6.00 person/night.
Nearest bus routes call at Langrish 3 miles away. Update 1st Jan 09: offering mulled Whiteheads cider, not perry, during the winter. Update July 09 - no real cider on day I visited, Whitehead's Equinox on order.
- The Jolly Farmer, Cliddesden, Nr. Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG25 2JL. Tel: (01256) 473073.
- The Fox Inn, Green Lane, Ellisfield, Near Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG25 2QW. Tel: (01256) 381210.
Mr Whiteheads Cider. First annual Cider Festival took place over the weekend of the 22nd & 23rd of August 2009. The Fox will also be served a few real ales along with the ciders, a BBQ and Hog Roast and live entertainment. All 'Ciderheads' welcome, even miserable ones!!!
Bus to Cliddesden and Ellisfield from Basingstoke and Alton timetable.
See under Alton.
- Hampshire Bowman, Dundridge, Nr. Bishops Waltham, Hampshire, SO32 1GD. Tel: (01489) 892940.
Mr Whiteheads Cider. Charming country pub with good food and local real ales in addition to the cider.
- The Pig, Beaulieu Road, Brockenhurst, Hampshire, SO42 7QL. Tel: (01590) 622354.
A restaurant, and bar with rooms, and New Forest Cider.
- New Forest Cider, Pound Lane, Burley, Hampshire.
Beware of the shop in the village centre selling so-called "Burley Cider". It is in fact from Perry's in Devon and has no local connection. The real cider maker is a short way down Pound Lane. Location
See under Basingstoke.
- The Flower Pots Inn, The Flower Pots, Cheriton, Hampshire, SO24 0QQ. Tel: (01962) 771318.
Westons Old Rosie (and Stowford Press). Open 12:00 - 14:30, 18:00 - 23:00 Mon-Sat, 12:00 - 15:00, 19:00 - 22:00 Sun. Food, at more sensible prices than many pubs in this area, 12:00 - 14:00 & 19:00 - 21:00 (not Sun. eves). Location. On the Winchester - Petersfield bus route: timetable
- First Post, 42 High Street, Cosham, Hampshire, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO6 3AG. Tel: (023) 9221 0331.
See under Basingstoke.
- The Pheasant (formerly the Royal Oak), Gosport Road, Lower Farringdon, Alton, Hampshire, GU34 3DJ. Tel: (01420) 588255.
- Queens Hotel, 143 Queens Road, Gosport, Hampshire, PO12 1LG. Tel: (023) 9258 1300.
"Gosport's non-stop beer festival".
- Hawkley Inn, Pococks Lane, Hawkley, Liss, Hampshire, GU33 6NE. Tel: (01730) 827205.
Located just East of the village green and serves Mr Whitehead's Cirrus Minor cider and Newton's Discovery ciderkin. Used to sell the defunct Swamp Donkey Cider and the flag in the bar still shows its name.
Isle of Wight
- Yardbridge Inn, Yarbridge, Brading, Isle of Wight, PO36 0AA. Tel: (01983) 406212.
Situated at Yarbridge Cross Roads which is about half way between Brading and Sandown on the main road. 'real farmhouse draught cider'
- The Cider Barn, High Street, Godshill, Isle of Wight. Tel: (01983) 840680.
Click The Cider Barn, Godshill for more. Home-produced ciders ranging from dry, unfiltered to medium sweet, join ginger beer and Island wines, local mustards, chutneys, pickles and preserves from Sharon Orchard in this folksy barn in the quaint village of Godshill. Open: Winter: 10.00am-5pm daily. Summer: 10am-6pm in July and August. Regional_Producers#Isle_of_Wight Highly recommended, Godshill cider produces delicious, well-balanced ciders using local apples.
- The Volunteer, 30 Victoria Street, Ventnor, Isle of Wight, PO38 1ES. Tel: (01983) 852537.
- The Kings Head, Quay Street, Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, PO41 0PB. Tel: (01983) 760351.
- The Gun Inn, Keyhaven Road, Keyhaven, Lymington, Hampshire, SO41 0TP. Tel: (01590) 642391.
Westons Old Rosie on handpump. Food in evenings. Nearest bus route 1.5 miles away at Milford-on-Sea. Reports on the net of rude staff and intoxicated landlord, but I have never seen such goings-on there.
- Royal Oak, 19 Langstone High Street, Langstone, Havant, Hampshire, PO9 1RY. Tel: (023) 9248 3125.
3rd Wednesday of the month: Quiz & Curry Night. Third Sunday of the month 8:00pm: folk club.
Yes, yes.....but what cider has it got???
See under Alton.
- High Corner Inn, Linwood, North Ringwood, Hampshire, BH24 3QY. Tel: (01425) 473973.
Westons Traditional cider. An isolated New Forest pub, down a gravel track which leaves the only road about a mile East of the village. Grid ref. 197107. A good destination for a hike from the edge of the Forest, but most of it's trade is motorists come for meals. Food quality is rumored to be inversly linked to the number of diners there at the time.
- Pages of Lyndhurst, 44 High Street, Lyndhurst, Hampshire, SO43 7BG. Tel: (023) 8028 3111.
Off-licence and gift shop with various ciders available (list here). NB the 'Lyndhurst' scrumpy they offer is in fact Perry's and has no local connection at all.
- Trusty Servant, Minstead, Lyndhurst, Hampshire, SO43 7FY. Tel: (023) 8081 2137.
- Connaught Arms, 119 Guildford Rd, Fratton, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 5EA. Tel: (023) 9264 6455.
- Fleet & Firkin, 1 King Henry 1st St, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 2PT. Tel: (023) 9286 4242.
- Tap, 17 London Road, North End, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO2 0BQ. Tel: (023) 9261 4861
- Ye Old Oyster House, 291 Locksway Rd, Southsea, Hampshire, PO4 8LH. Tel: (023) 9282 7456.
- The Florence Arms, 18-20 Florence Road, Southsea, Hampshire, PO5 2NE. Tel: (023) 9287 5700.
The "Flo" Cider bar has a huge range of about 50 draught and bottled, ciders and perrys always stocked, including Snakecatcher, Black rat, cheddar valley, Old rosie and more.. Freshly cooked food, jazz and folk. Due to demand the draught cider range has now been extended to 14, with about 40 in bottles. It must be the best selection for miles.
- The Star Inn, Market Place, Ringwood, Hampshire, BH24 1AW. Tel: (01425) 473105.
St. Mary Bourne
- The Coronation Arms, The Street, St. Mary Bourne, Hampshire, SP11 6AR. Tel: (01264) 738432.
- The Selbourne Arms, High Street, Selbourne, Hampshire, GU34 3JR. Tel: (01420) 511247.
- South Western Arms, 38-40 Adelaide Rd, St Denys, Southampton, Hampshire, SO17 2HW. Tel: (023) 8032 4542.
- Tichbourne Arms, Titchbourne, Alresford, Hampshire, SO24 0NA. Tel: (01962) 733760.
- The Old Gaolhouse, 11 Jewry Street, Winchester, Hampshire, SO23 8RZ. Tel: (01962) 850095.
Standard-issue Wetherspoon serving their usual range. Split-level with large 'family area'. Surprisingly unrowdy for a Saturday night on our visit. Between the station and the city centre.
- The Black Boy Inn, 1 Wharf Hill, Winchester, Hampshire, SO23 9NQ. Tel: (01962) 861754.
- The Thomas Lord, High Street, West Meon, Hampshire, GU32 1LN. Tel: (01730) 829244.
- Mr Whiteheads Cider Co have a website with a list of outlets here, including several in Hampshire not listed here. Please post confirmations of these pubs if you visit.
Pubs Delisted from the Cider Pub Guide to Hampshire
- The Alresford Ale & Cider House, East Street, Alresford, Hampshire.
Delisted as it is now sadly closed.
- The Bank, Barnetside, Hampshire.
Delisted as it was taken over by Fullers & has stopped selling real cider.
- The Rose & Crown, Crows Lane, Upper Farringdon, Hampshire.
Delisted as it no longer serves real cider.
- The Oak, Pinkney Lane, Bank, near Lyndhurst.
Delisted as it was taken over by Fullers and no longer serves real cider.
- The Queens Head, Village Street, Sheet, Petersfield, Hampshire, GU32 2AH. Tel: (01730) 264204.
- The Westgate Inn, 2 Romsey Road, Winchester, Hampshire.
No longer has real cider.
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|