Cider Pub Guide to Dorset
The guide to pubs selling Real Cider in Dorset. 41 entries so far...
- Knapp Inn, 21 - 23 Clay Lane, Beaminster, Dorset, DT8 3BU. Tel: (01308) 862408.
Taunton Traditional available. Nov 2007.
- The Railway Hotel, Oakfield Street, Blandford, Dorset, DT11 7EX. Tel: (01258) 456374.
There has not been a railway station in Blandford for over 40 years, but its hotel, close to where it once was, is still going strong. It's the only free house in town and stays open till the last customer leaves! Cider by Rosie is now available in the main bar at most times. Real Cider has its own section during their annual festival over the first bank holiday weekend in May.
- Porterhouse, 113 Poole Road, Westbourne, Dorset, BH4 9BG. Tel: (01202) 768586.
A Ringwood Brewery Pub. Thatchers Cider on handpump (Varies). July 2014: Thatchers Cheddar Valley on Handpump. A Ringwood brewery pub.
- Parkstone & Heatherlands, Wimborne Road, Winton, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH9 2AN. Tel: (01202) 853020.
- White Lion Inn, High Street, Bourton, Dorset, SP8 5AT. Tel: (01747) 840866.
- Hope & Anchor, 13 St. Michael's Lane, Bridport, Dorset, DT6 3RA. Tel: (01308) 422160.
Definitely has Thatchers Cheddar Valley.
- The Stable, c/o The Bull Hotel, 34 East Street, Bridport, Dorset, DT6 3LF. Tel: (01308) 422878, Fax: (01308) 426872.
The Stable was opened in October 2009 in the old stables of The Bull Hotel, a 17th century coaching inn. Predominantly a cider house, nearly 50 types of ciders and perry, with a good selection of local ciders on draught, including Burrow Hill, Fosseway Cider's Somerset Glory, Netherbury, Lyme Bay, Bridge Farm and Cider by Rosie are stocked along with apple and pear based spirits. Food is stonebaked pizzas and pies. Have a look at The Stable Dorset website, or even better, if you are in the area why not pay a visit. Follow @TheStableDorset on Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheStableDorset and read more here.
- Stapleton Arms, Church Hill, Buckhorn Weston, Dorset, SP8 5HS. Tel: (01963) 370396.
- The Gaggle of Geese, Gaggle of Geese, Buckland Newton, Dorchester, Dorset, DT2 7BS. Tel: (01300) 345249
The Gaggle of Geese is a large country pub in Buckland Newton. It has 5 acres of gardens and orchards where you will find geese, goats and chickens roaming free. Serving real cider and perry from Bridge Farm and Lulworth Skipper. Food is all homemade and locally sourced, some is also grown on their own farm. Follow The Gaggle on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/markhammick
- The Lugger Inn, 30 West Street, Chickerell, Dorset, DT3 4DY. Tel: (01305) 766611.
The Weymouth FC website says this sells Addlestones.
- The Baker Arms, The Cross, Child Okeford, Blandford Forum, Dorset, DT11 8ED. Tel: (01258) 860260.
Located in the centre of the village. This pleasant pub with a large beer garden offers good home cooked food, Real Ales and Cider by Rosie Dorset cider. Ideal place to have lunch after your walk over Hambledon Hill.
- The New Inn, Church Knowle, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 5NQ. Tel: (01929) 480357.
- The Greyhound Inn, The Square, Corfe Castle, Dorset, BH20 5EZ. Tel: (01929) 480205.
Located in the centre of the village and serves Westons Organic. Occasional perry.
- Clealls of Corfe, 25 East Street, Corfe Castle, Dorset, BH20 5EE. Tel: (01929) 480170.
Opposite the Greyhound. Stocks Jack Ratt cider in bottles & half-gallon containers. Open until 20:00 Mon-Sat in summer. According to the website they sell Isle of Purbeck Cider Joe’s Cider, a new addition following their recent renovation and appeance on TV show Mary Queen Of Shops. CiderMike 15:52, 4 August 2010 (UTC)
- The Royal Oak, Dewlish, Dorchester, Dorset, DT2 7ND, Tel: (01258) 837352.
photo. Locally-made Cider by Rosie and varying Westons ciders. Absolutely peaceful, well off the beaten track, the Oak is a gem and well worth a pilgrimage. Food at more reasonable prices than many in the area (ham sandwich £4.00, cod & chips £6.50, 8/09) range of vegetarian meals. Newspapers, no muzac.
- The Blue Raddle, 9 Church Street, Dorchester, Dorset, DT1 1JN. Tel: (01305) 267762.
- The Sun Inn, Lower Burton, Dorchester, Dorset, DT2 7RZ. Tel: (01305) 250445.
- Harry's Bar, formerly The Man o' War, Durdle Door Holiday Park, West Lulworth, Dorset, BH20 5PU. Tel: (01929) XXXXXX.
The pub at the entrance to the camp site, close to the Durdle promontory and Man o' War Bay. Good wholesome meals and extensive range of beverages, including Cider by Rosie local cider.
- The Sailors Return, East Chaldon, Dorchester, Dorset, DT2 8DN. Tel: (01305) 853847.
Delightful thatched pub in a tiny out of the way village close to the Jurassic Coast. Well worth the adventure of finding this peaceful retreat for tasty reasonably priced pub food, real ales and draught Cider by Rosie Dorset craft cider.
- The Weld Arms, East Lulworth, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 5QQ. Tel: (01929) 400211.
A nice pub in true Dorset style in a pleasant village near to the coast. Sells Cider by Rosie Dorset craft cider. Food lunchtimes & evenings, but pricy (starts at £10.00 for ham egg & chips 8/09).
- The Night Jar, 94 Victoria Road, Ferndown, Dorset, BH22 9JA. Tel: (01202) 855572.
A JD Wetherspoon's pub selling Westons 500ml bottles in Med/Sweet, Med/Dry, Extra Dry and Premium Organic and Bag in a box Westons Vintage Organic & Westons Old Rosie in the chiller cabinet. Suppost to be open untiul midnight (Sun-Thu), but on the night I was there I was rushed out of the building by some young "manager" at 11.25pm. CiderMike 13:01, 4 August 2010 (UTC)
- The Museum Inn, Farnham, Nr Blandford Forum, Dorset, DT11 8DE. Tel: (01725) 516261.
Now has Cider by Rosie draught cider.
- Antelope Hotel, Pidney, Hazelbury Bryan, Sturminster Newton, Dorset, DT10 2EB. Tel: (01258) 817295.
Ex-brewery owned pub, now a free house! Sells draught local Cider by Rosie.
- The Crown, Ibberton, Blandford Forum, Dorset, DT11 0EN. Tel: (01258) 817448.
- Scott Arms, West Street, Kingston, Corfe Castle, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 5LH. Tel: (01929) 480270.
Pub in the centre of the village with a fantastic view over Corfe Castle and Purbeck from the garden. Stowford Press on tap and also Westons Old Rosie and Traditional Scrumpy. Dorset made Cider by Rosie. The Aspalls and Brothers range in bottle. Guest ciders in the last 6 months have included Oliver's, Wilcox's, Severn Sider and Hecks Vintage Perry. The new owners are planning a cider and cheese festival for September. On Poole - Swanage bus route.
- Loders Arms, Loders, Dorset, DT6 3SA. Tel: (01308) 422431.
Reported to have Taunton Traditional.
- The Plough, Manston, Dorset, DT10 1HB. Tel: (01258) 472484.
- Mill House Cider Museum, Owermoigne, Near Dorchester, Dorset, DT2 8HZ. Tel: (01305) 852220.
The Mill House Cider Museum has a very interesting display of old cider making equipment. There is also a clock museum and a thriving plant nursery on the same site. Well worth a visit if you are holidaying in Dorset or even just passing through. The Museum shop has a good range of bottled ciders to buy, including Burrow Hill, Perry's single varieties, Lulworth Skipper, Cider by Rosie and Rose's keeved ciders.
- The Vine Inn, Pamphill, Wimborne Minster, Dorset, BH21 4EE. Tel: (01202) 882259.
photo A delightful little pub in an unspoilt village close to Kingston Lacey estate (National Trust). You will be made very welcome by Linda who has been the Vine's Landlady for many years. Linda keeps Weston's Perry and 1st Quality Cider, Stowford Press and locally made Cider by Rosie
- The Poacher's Inn, Piddletrentide, Dorchester, Dorset, DT2 7QX. Tel: (01300) 348358.
- The Brace of Pheasants, Plush, Dorchester, Dorset, DT2 7RQ. Tel: (01300) 348357.
A delightful thatched pub in the idyllic village of Plush, tucked away in the hills of mid Dorset. Good food and ales. Cider by Rosie available throughout the summer, on tap via a cooler.
- The Brewhouse, 68 High Street, Poole, Dorset, BH15 1DA. Tel: (01202) 681184.
A good friendly pub with the industrial Thatchers Gold always available on draft and sometimes Old Rosie on pump. also Thatchers katy and Thatchers Cox served by the bottle other ciders include Brothers different varietys and Westons Organic in bottles.
- The Angel, 28 Market Street, Poole, Dorset, BH15 1NF. Tel: (01202) 666431.
Has Thatchers on draught.
- The Bermuda Triangle, 10 Parr Street, Lower Parkstone, Poole, Dorset. Tel: (01202) 748087.
Sells Inchs on draft.
- The Stable, Poole quay, Poole, Dorset. Tel: (01202) 661471.
Now open in Poole. A selection of real ciders on offer (July 2014:including products from Sandford Orchards, Joe's cider, Jack Ratt,Westons, ...) Pies, Pizza and Cider - best place for real cider in Poole!
- The Royal Portland Arms, 40 Fortuneswell, Portland, Dorset, DT5 1LZ. Tel: (01305) 862255.
A real cider pub. Landlady Jill is a Somerset girl who loves her cider and has an ever changing selection of the real thing. There are usually 12 - 14 different ciders available from producers such as Fosseway Cider's Somerset Glory, Burrow Hill, Hecks, Thatchers, Westons and Cider by Rosie when available.
- The Anchor Inn, West Street, Shapwick, Dorset, DT11 9LB. Tel: (01258) 857269.
Located between Blandford and Wimborne. Turn off B3082 opposite Badbury Rings. A pleasant village pub recently refurbished to a high standard. Mark and Roseanne have built up a good reputation for food and have a firm interest in real ale and cider. Cider by Rosie and the industrial Thatcher's Gold.
- Shave Cross Inn, Marshwood Vale, Bridport, Dorset, DT6 6HW. Tel: (01308) 868358.
- George Hotel, Higher Cheap Street, Sherborne, Dorset, DT9 3JD. Tel: (01935) 812785.
- The Woodpecker, High Street, Spetisbury, Blandford Forum, Dorset, DT11 9DJ. Tel: (01258) 452658.
- The King's Arms, Stoborough, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 5AB. Tel: (01929) 552705.
Just outside Wareham on the Swanage road. The King's Arms is a pleasant cob and thatch pub with a long history. Cromwell's soldiers were billeted here during the siege of Corfe Castle. Good food, real ales and local craft cider Cider by Rosie
- Bankes Arms Hotel, Manor Road, Studland, Dorset, BH19 3AU. Tel: (01929) 450225.
Signposted from the main road. A varying real cider. (3 of the Mr whitehead's range in 8/09) Food. Garden with views over the sea. Handy for the Bournemouth - Swanage bus route (open-top in summer).
- Ilchester Arms, Symondsbury, Bridport, Dorset, DT6 6HD. Tel: (01308) 422600.
A Palmers Brewery Pub. Serves Taunton Traditional (June 2008).
- The White Swan, The Square, High Street, Swanage, Dorset, BH19 2LJ. Tel: (01929) 423804.
Only a stone's throw from the sea! Why not enjoy your holiday lunch with a Cider by Rosie Dorset craft cider?
- The Red Lion, 63 High Street, Swanage, Dorset, BH19 2LY. Tel: (01929) 423533.
map Tim and Karen have a good range of real ales and are also keen to promote real cider as the list below amply shows. If you are holidaying in Swanage this is a pub of character, not to be missed. Westons ciders as follows: Old Rosie, Scrumpy, 1st Quality, Bounds Brand, Organic, Stowford Press, Special Keg (new introduction 2006), 1880 Stowford Supreme (bottle) and Weston's Perry. Other ciders have included Perry's Dabinett, Perry's Sweet, Perry's Scrumpy, Cider by Rosie Dorset made craft cider and Dunders Leg (Cornish Cider - excellent; Very dry). Now under new management but still a fabulous selection of ciders and perrys, also mead.
- Hare and Hounds , Waytown, Bridport, DT6 5LQ. Tel: (01308) 488203.
Reputed to have Taunton Traditional.
- The Castle Inn, Main Road, West Lulworth, Dorset, BH20 5RN. Tel: (01929) 400311.
The Castle Inn is a traditional family-run 16th Century thatched free house pub, near Lulworth Cove & Durdle Door. There is a selection of over 40 regular Real Ciders and Perries available. Also available are usually 6-8 Real Ales all served direct from the barrel. Regular Ciders include Fosseway Cider's Somerset Glory, Cider by Rosie, Hecks Port Wine of Glastonbury, Hecks Blakeney Red Perry, New Forest Cider's Snake-Catcher Scrumpy (Medium), Westons Old Rosie Scrumpy, Westons 1st Quality, Westons Country Perry. Full and Up To Date List: The Castle Inn's Cider PageJuly 2014 - 61 different real ciders - and counting!!
- Boot Inn, High Street West, Weymouth, Dorset. Tel: (01305) 770327.
- The Chapelhay Tavern, 34 Franchise Street, Weymouth, Dorset, DT4 8JS. Tel: (01305) 786811.
Has Thatchers Traditional on draught.
- The Rodwell, 35 Rodwell Road, Weymouth, Dorset, DT4 8QP. Tel: (01305) 786380.
Has Cheddar Valley on draught.
- The Market House, 37 Maiden Street, Weymouth, Dorset, DT4 8AZ. Tel: (01305) 771236.
- The Dorothy Inn, 48 - 49 The Esplanade, Dorset, DT4 8DQ. Tel: (01305) 766996.
- The Rock, 41 Abbotsbury Road, Weymouth, Dorset, DT4 0AQ. Tel: (01305) 784563.
Serves Thatchers Heritage on draught.
- The Orange Cider Bar, 37 St. Thomas Street, Weymouth, Dorset, DT4 8EH. Tel: (01305) 077077.
More details of Weymouth pubs are available on the Weymouth Football Club here - All pubs listed there as selling real cider are shown above.
- The Royal British Legion, 4 Redcotts Lane, Wimborne, Dorset, BH21 1JX. Tel: (01202) 885 541.
- The Green Man, 1 Victoria Road, Wimborne, Dorset, BH21 1EN. Tel: (01202) 881021.
- The Greyhound, North Street, Winterborne Kingston, near Bere Regis, Dorset, DT11 9AZ. Tel: (01929) 471332.
An up and coming free house much refreshed by its new ownership. Has established an excellent reputation for good food. The carvery is really top notch - perfectly roasted and generous portions served. Ciders available - Stowford Press, and Cider by Rosie from just up the road! map
- The Crown, North Street, Winterborne Stickland, Dorset, DT11 0NJ. Tel: (01258) 880838.
Has Thatcher's Draught map
- The Square and Compass, Worth Matravers, Swanage, Dorset, BH19 3LF. Tel: (01929) 439229.
The Square is a real cider pub of immense character and has its own page on UK Cider here. The pub holds a cider festival is held every November and there are many other special events throughout the year. Bar manager Kevin has Weston's Vintage Organic, Weston's Perry, Stowford Press and Old Rosie , Heck's Blakeney Red Perry, single variety ciders including their excellent Port Wine of Glastonbury. From Dorset there is medium dry draught Cider by Rosie and Charlie the landlord's own cider. This is produced in his new ciderhouse in the pub garden. This year there are 3 ciders made by Charlie on sale. The Square is moving more and more towards real full juice ciders and has just been awarded Wessex Pub of the year. A visit is an absolute must if you are in the area. It is a Mecca for cider lovers.
In October 2008 it was declared 'National Cider Pub of the Year'.
Now only 2 buses per day (Service #44 from Swanage) and none on weekends, but a good service (Wilts & Dorset #40) 1 mile away at Acton Turning. map
Pubs Delisted from the Cider Pub Guide to Dorset
- The Kings Arms, 15 Trinity Road, Weymouth, Dorset, DT4 8TJ. Tel: (01305) 770055.
Delisted - went in on 19/08/2009, asked for real cider and was sniffily told that "they dont sell anything like that"
- The Marquis of Granby, Chickerell near Weymouth.
Delisted - After a change of ownership does not now serve real cider!
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|