Cider Pub Guide to Devon
The guide to pubs selling Real Cider in Devon. 61 entries so far...
Cider Pubs in North Devon
- The Hunters Inn, Heddon Valley, near Parracombe, North Devon, EX31 4PY. Tel: (01598) 763230. Email email@example.com
Holds a beer and cider festival in September.
- The Ship and Pilot Broad Street, Ilfracombe (very near the harbour).
Sams Dry cider, Bristol Port Wine, and Bee Sting perry. Free lime & soda for designated drivers.
- The Grove Inn, Kings Nympton, Devon, EX37 9ST. Tel: (01769) 580406.
Excellent village pub. As well as offering Sam's Dry and Sam's Poundhouse from the Winkleigh Cider Company this village pub is renowned for its use of quality local produce and amongst its accolades it is South West Dining Pub of the Year (Taste of the West Awards 2008). CAMRA listed.
- The Castle Inn, Blakeshill Road, Landkey, near Barnstaple, Devon, EX32 0NF. Tel: (01271) 830438.
Very conveniently situated close to A361 North Devon Link road. Tauntons on draught and Westons from polypins. Food looked good. Behind this pub is a community mazzard green (orchard). Mazzards are a Devon cherry and used to be a significant local industry. This green was a Y2K project of local people and orchard enthusiasts and was planted by local schoolchildren. Probably worth trying the Ring O Bells pub also.
- Marshalls, 95 Boutport Street, Barnstaple, Devon, EX31 1SX. Tel: (01271) 376633.
Friendly city centre bar (almost opposite the JDW), a regular GBG entry and one of the Barnstaple entries on the Tarka Line Rail Ale Trail. "Sams" available if you ask, but if you only ask for "cider", you'll probably be served Inch's Stonehouse keg! Good cheap food. Live music Sunday afternoon (Easter 2009). Open 11-11.
- The Panniers, 33 - 34 Boutport Street, Barnstaple, Devon, EX31 1RX. Tel: (01271) 329720.
The local JDW, almost opposite Marshalls. No local cider, but the usual Wetherspoons products from Westons. Does have the advantage of an outdoor area at the back with tables for use in good weather, and for smokers!
- Brook Stores, 1 St. Mary's Road, Croyde Devon, EX33 1LF. Tel: (01271) 890120.
Perhaps the only source of real Devon cider in the area. Shop/bakery located next to Post Office by Croyde bridge. Hancock's dry and Medium “Devon Farm Scrumpy Cider” sold in polythene containers; plus Ostler's (very) Traditional Scrumpy 6% at Easter 2009. Also a wide range of Palmerhayes products, including some in fancy glassware memento containers. Apparently it is the Hancock’s that sells out more rapidly!
- Fox and Hounds Country Hotel, Eggesford, Chulmleigh, Devon, EX18 7JZ. Tel: (01769) 580345.
on A377 at Eggesford Station, halfway between Exeter and Barnstaple, Dartmoor and Exmoor. Winkleigh Cider.
- The Old Court House, South Molton Street, Chulmleigh, Devon, EX18 7BW. Tel: (01769) 580045.
Friendly village pub. B&B. Thatchers Cider.
- The Red Lion Hotel, East Street, Chulmleigh, Devon, EX18 7DD. Tel: (01769) 580384.
Young clientele. TV and pool. Locally sourced food Tuesday to Saturday. Thatchers Cider.
- The Earl of Portsmouth, Chawleigh, Chulmleigh, Devon, EX18 7HJ. Tel: (01769) 580204.
Large pub in centre of village. Real ale guide and AA good pub guide Good pub food. Ruston cider and real ales.
- Grampus Inn, Lee, Nr. Ilfracombe, Devon, EX34 8LR. Tel: (01271) 862906.
An absolute gem in coastal village 3 miles West of Ilfracombe. Listed in GBG. Always a well chosen cider & perry. In July 2013 Sandford Orchards scrumpy on draught plus their Pear Shaped perry (7% using dessert pears). Open 11am during Summer – ideal coffee stop for those using South West Coast Path. Excellent home-cooked locally-sourced food. Also cream teas. Open Mic. sessions Friday evenings (M’Larkey are local folk band). Best approached by car from Ilfracombe direction, rather than from South!
- Lynmouth Stores 20 Lynmouth Street, Lynmouth EX35 6EH
Bottled Sams and Perry's ciders. Useful as there are no real cider pubs in Lynmouth or Lynton.
Cider Pubs in West Devon
- The Lymington Arms, Lama Cross, Wembworthy, Devon, EX18 7SA. Tel: (01837) 83572.
Between Eggesford and Winkleigh. Good food, accommodation and Winkleigh Cider.
- The Railway Inn, Railway Hotel, North Tawton, Devon, EX20 2BE. Tel: (01837) 82789.
Small, simple, characterful country pub. Off the beaten track. Thatchers Cider, good food but check opening times.
- Tally Ho, 14 Market Street, Hatherleigh, Okehampton, Devon, EX20 3JN. Tel: (01837) 810306.
Cider Pubs in Mid Devon
- Crediton Food Fayre, 20 High Street, Crediton, Devon, EX17 3AH. Tel: (01363) 772147.
- The Black Dog Inn, Black Dog, Nr Crediton, Devon, EX17 4QS. Tel: (01884) 860336.
"Local Cider" Annual black dog procession, singaround and other attractions. Since reported that the Black Dog owner doesn't like cider, no longer has procession or singaround.
- The Rose and Crown, Sandford, Devon, EX17 4NH. Tel: (01363) 772056.
Sandford is a small village just outside the well known Market Town of Crediton. Surrounded by many traditional standard orchards a local cider has been reborn. And its a belter! Served in both the village pubs "Sandford Orchards" is a very tasty, brutishly strong traditional bittersweet devonshire farmhouse cider. You can even take a gallon away with you if you ask the landlady nicely.
- The lamb Inn, Sandford, Crediton, Devon, EX17 4LW. Tel: (01363) 773676.
- The Old Fire Station, North Street, Crediton, Devon, EX17 2BT. Tel: (01363) 777745.
- The New Inn, Coleford, Crediton, Devon, EX17 5BZ. Tel: (01548) 84242.
13th Century thatched inn with Sandford Orchards cider.
- The Three Little Pigs, Parliament Street, Crediton, Devon, EX17 2BP. Tel: (01363) 774587.
Sandford Orchards cider.
- Red Lion Inn, Shobrooke Village, Shobrooke, Crediton, Devon, EX17 1AT. Tel: (01363) 772340.
Sandford Orchards cider.
- Ruston Farm, Crediton, Devon, EX17.
Not a pub but sells cider from the barrel by the cider press. Located nr. Thelbridge, from B3042 between Thelbridge and Chawleigh at Three Hammers Cross. If the 'Cider' sign is not hanging on the main road then try the Earl of Portsmouth in Chawleigh instead.
- Cadeleigh Arms, Cadeleigh, Tiverton, Devon, EX16 8HP. Tel: (01884) 855238.
- The Kings Arms, Fore Street, Winkleigh, Devon, EX19 8HX. Tel: (01837) 83384.
CURRENTLY CLOSED (July 2013) with "To Let" signs outside. Seven Stars nearby sells draught Sam's dry but very basic by comparison!
Cider Pubs in East Devon
- Ye Olde Masons Arms, Branscombe Village, Devon, EX12 3DJ. Tel: (01297) 680300.
This Devon hotel dates back to the year 1360. The Masons Arms was originally a Devon cider house comprising of just one bar, measuring just 8 x 4ft situated in the middle of a row of five cottages. Today the hotel has taken over that row of cottages, and they still serve a couple of decent ciders by all accounts.
- The Fountain Head, Branscombe, Seaton, Devon, EX12 3BG. Tel: (01297) 680359.
- The Royal Oak, Nadderwater, Whitestone, Exeter, Devon, EX4 2JH. Tel: (01392) 272352.
Lovely country pub on the edge of the city which has a guest real cider, as of 16/7/11 it was Sunnybrook Cider. Also has the fizz-filled Thatcher's Dry and some bottles. Food is served 11am - 9pm, and there's reasonable rates on camping and accomodation. CiderMike 15:34, 16 July 2011 (UTC)
- The Old Fire House, 50 New North Road, Exeter, Devon, EX4 4EP. Tel: (01392) 277279.
I found this place by accident and I'm not quite sure why I'd never heard of it before!? In my opinion, the Old Fire House is THE place to be in Exeter if you love real cider. There were 4 hand pumps dispencing Sandford Orchards Devon Scrumpy, Sunnybrook Medium, Winkleigh Sam's Medium and Winkleigh Autumn Mix. There were also 5 boxes of Mr. Whitehead's cider on the bar; namely they were Boxing Dog Cider, Strawberry Cider, Blackberry Cider, Heart of Hampshire Cider and Midnight Perry. There were also numerous bottles in the fridge including Weston's Premium Organic and a cider (or two) from Sandfords, but I was a little pre-occupied with what was on the bar to pay that much attention! A truly fantistic place! CiderMike 10:58, 19 February 2011 (UTC)
- Double Locks, Canal Banks, Exeter, Devon, EX2 6LT. Tel: (01392) 256947.
Gray's Farm Farmhouse Cider from polypins above the bar. Beside the Exeter Ship Canal (now solely used for recreation), around a mile and a half's walk south of the city: the 'Double Locks' are in fact just one large lock. A real pub in a superb setting with good, affordable food. Camping outside possible.
- First'n'Last, 90 Cowick Street, St Thomas, Exeter, Devon, EX4 1HL. Tel: (01392) 438437.
- George's Meeting House, 38 South Street, Exeter, Devon, EX1 1ED. Tel: (01392) 454250.
- Green Gables Inn, Buddle Lane, Exeter, Devon, EX4 1JH. Tel: (01392) 258404.
Basic boozer serving Taunton Traditional.
- Imperial, New North Road, Exeter, Devon, EX4 4AH. Tel: (01392) 434050.
- Locomotive Inn, 36 New North Road, Exeter, Devon, EX4 4EP. Tel: (01392) 275840.
No-frills boozer around the back of Exeter Central station. Taunton Traditional.
- Oddfellows Arms, 60 New North Road, Exeter, Devon, EX4 4EP. Tel: (01392) 209050.
Across the road from the Locomotive, this was previously the Gate Cider Bar, then the Thirsty Camel, and has now been refurbished in a trendier style. Taunton Traditional and Thatchers Heritage on draught.
- Premier Stores OL Isambard Parade, Exeter (outside Exeter St. Davids station).
Bottled Sandford Orchards was very welcome while changing trains here. Also has tasty Clives Pies.
- Ship Inn, Martins Lane, Exeter, Devon, EX1 1EY. Tel: (01392) 272040.
- The Lazy Toad Inn, Brampford Speke, Exeter, Devon, EX5 5DP. Tel: (01392) 841591.
Sandford Orchard's cider.
- Old Timers Wine Bar & Restaurant, Easton Buildings, Little Castle Street, Exeter, Devon, EX4 3PX. Tel: (01392) 477704.
Sandford Orchard's cider.
- Well House Tavern, 16 - 17 Cathedral Close, Exeter, Devon, EX1 1HB. Tel: (01392) 319953.
Popular pub just outside the cathedral. Rich's Medium Cider on draught.
- Powder Monkey, 2 The Parade, Exmouth, Devon, EX8 1RJ. Tel: (01395) 280090.
- The Nog Inn Opposite the railway station. Serves either Rich's or Skippy's ciders (Skippy's is made at a farm outside the village, not always available). Attractive old-fashioned interior. No food. Closes 3 - 6.
- The Redwing Inn, Church Road, Lympstone, Exmouth, Devon, EX8 5JT. Email: Contact@TheRedwing.co.uk
- The Kings Arms Inn, Stockland, Devon, EX14 9BS. Tel: (01404) 881361.
- Trumps, 8 Fore Street, Sidmouth, Devon, EX10 8AQ. Tel: (01395) 512446, Fax: (01395) 512101. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Old-fashioned family grocer open Monday to Saturday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., which in summer stocks the bottled cider. Colin Mills
- The Dairy Shop, incorporating White's Bakery, Church Street, Sidmouth, Devon, EX10 8LY. Tel: (01395) 513018, Fax: 0870 7059511.
- The Globe Hotel, Fore Street, Topsham, Exeter, Devon, EX3 0HR. Tel: (01392) 873471.
- The Steam Packet, 1 Monmouth Hill, Topsham, Devon, EX3 0JQ. Tel: (01392) 875085.
Reasonably priced, well kept Taunton Trad. Very close to the Quay for buses or ferries. Topsham 10 for more details.
Cider Pubs in South Devon (Plymouth, South Hams, Teignbridge & Torbay districts)
- The Rising Sun, Woodland, Ashburton, Nr. Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ13 7JT. Tel: (01364) 652544.
Heron Valley cider.
- Anchor Inn, Cockwood, Devon, EX6 8RA. Tel: (01626) 890203.
Located on the west side of the Exe Estuary between Dawlish Warren and Starcross.
- Nobody Inn, Doddiscombsleigh Village, near Dunsford, Exeter, Devon, EX6 7PS. Tel: (01647) 252394. map Just up the road from Brimblecombe's Cider Farm.
July 2007 - Brimblecombes Medium on draught, Luscombe dry on tap. Good food menu.
- The Church House, Holne, Nr. Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ13 7SJ. Tel: (01364) 631208.
- The Pig's Nose Inn, East Prawle, Kingsbridge, Devon, TQ7 2BY. Tel: (01548) 511209. Email: email@example.com
Sign says "Farmhouse" cider, so needs investigating.
- Ye Olde Cider Bar, 99 East Street, Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ12 2LD. Tel: (01626) 354221.
Closer view Possibly the finest cider house in the UK. Basic and unspoilt, but well looked after and welcoming. No beer, just ciders and perry from Westons, Thatchers, and best of all, genuine Devon cider from Winkleigh Cider Co from 180ltr wooden casks. Had boxes of Tricky's in September 2012 and sample box of locally produced Thompstone's cider (Excellent). Oh! and a range of country wines popular with a surprisingly young crowd at the weekend (who tend to disappear when the evening bus departs for Torquay!). 25% discount for takeouts on all draught ciders, containers available or bring your own. See here for more details. Had Sam's Cider on in September 2009. CiderMike 19:33, 3 August 2010 (UTC)
- The Locomotive, 35 - 37, East Street, Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ12 2JP. Tel: (01626) 356541.
- The Highweek Village Inn, 10 Highweek Village, Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ12 1QA. Tel: (01626) 356490.
- The Carpenters Arms, Ilsington, Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ13 9RG. Tel: (01364) 661215.
Between Bovey Tracey and Haytor. Serves a great pint of Heron Valley farm cider. Just a recomendation, good comedy locals too.
- The Pizza Cafe, 50 Queen Street, Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ12 2EW. Tel: (01626) 355102/201153.
Not a pub, but a cafe which sells draught Heron Valley cider with meals. Open all day and early evening. Possibly take away only.
- Cider Press, 7 Quay Road, Barbican, Plymouth, Devon, PL1 2JZ. Tel: (01752) 402053.
Basic but very friendly harbourside pub selling Cornish Orchards cider and perry (alternating).
- Providence Inn, 20 Providence Street, Plymouth, Devon, PL4 8JQ. Tel: (01752) 228178.
- The Castle Inn, The Barnhay, Stoke Gabriel, Totnes, Devon, TQ9 6SA. Tel: (01803) 782255.
WGF Hunt & Son Farmhouse Cider.
- Hole In The Wall, 6 Park Lane, Torquay, Devon, TQ1 2AU. Tel: (01803) 200755.
Review 1: Sells Westons Ciders, last time I was there they had Weston's Revival on. CiderMike 08:00, 11 October 2010 (UTC) Review 2: Always a great atmosphere, and this time I found Weston's Traditional Scrumpy. CiderMike 10:58, 19 February 2011 (UTC)
- The London Inn, 15 - 16 The Strand, Torquay, Devon, TQ1 2AA. Tel: (01803) 380003.
Review 1: Excellent Wetherspoon's boozer with Weston's Ciders and on the day I visited they had Sams Cider. CiderMike 08:00, 11 October 2010 (UTC) Review 2: Two Weston's bag in box ciders available; namely Old Rosie and Vintage Organic.
- Apple & Parrot, 17 The Strand, Torquay, Devon, TQ1 2AA. Tel: 01803 298626.
Weston's Old Rosie, Thatcher's Cheddar Valley and Sandford Orchard's Devon Scrumpy sold from boxes and polypins on the back of the bar and various bottles including Mole's Black Rat, Westons Premium Organic, Thatcher's Katy and Sandford Orchards Devon Red, Shaky Bridge and Devon Scrumpy.
- The Albert Inn 32 Bridgetown, Totnes, Devon, TQ9 5AD. Tel: (01803) 863214.
An excellent pub with a very fine dry cider which "hasn't got a name yet, it's made by someone up the road". The interior looks as if it has not changed since the 50's. I got a warm welcome from the two resident spaniels. Pub food - burgers and pies. Also has ales brewed on the premises. (8/11)
- The Bay Horse 8 Cistern Street, Totnes, Devon, TQ9 5SP. Tel: (01803) 862088.
- Happy Apple OL 60 High St, Totnes, Devon, TQ9 5SQ. Tel: (01803) 866684.
- Fleurette Florist OL 8 Fore Street, Totnes, Devon, TQ9 5DX. Tel: (01803) 863682.
Pubs Delisted from the Cider Pub Guide to Devon
- Hog's Head, 81-82 Fore Street, Exeter, Devon, EX4 3HR. Tel: (01392) 438407.
- The Clocktower Bar, 23 Torwood Street, Torquay, Devon, TQ1 1ED. Tel: (01803) 294334.
- The Clovelly Bay Inn, Boringdon Road, Turnchapel, PL9 9TB. Tel: (01752) 402765.
- Prospect Inn, The Quay, Exeter, Devon, EX2 4AN. Tel: (01392) 273152.
Traditional-looking riverside pub, unfortunately only serving Aspalls.
- The Old Cider Apple, Bicclescombe Park Road, Ilfracombe, Devon, EX34 8EU. Tel: (01271) 866100.
Do they serve anything made from cider apples? Does it even exist now? I went up and down the road without spotting a sign. If there is no response to phone call, assume it's defunct. That pretty much describes the town as far as cider is concerned. The Tourist Info folk suggested I come back for the beer festival in August if I want some real/local cider! But see Lee just 3 miles away.
According to Exeter & East Devon Camra real cider should also be available in the following pubs on and off:
- Prince of Wales, Holcombe Rogus (summer only)
- Manor Inn, Lower Ashton (varies)
And the South Devon branch provides links to these outlets, which also claim to do real cider:
- Griffins Yard (Organic and Natural Food Emporium), South Molton (Ostlers, Yarde, Dunkerton as at December 2008).
- Brian Ford Supermarket at Seven Brethren, Barnstaple (Ostlers and others).
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|