Cider Pub Guide to Cambridgeshire
The guide to pubs selling Real Cider in Cambridgeshire. 38 so far...
- Three Horseshoes Inn, Moat Lane, Abbots Ripton, Cambridgeshire, PE28 2PA. Tel: (01487) 773440.
- The Cambridge Blue, 85 - 87 Gwydir Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB1 2LG. Tel: (01223) 361382.
Real cider from local producers Pickled Pig and Aspalls. Comment: "Aspalls on tap, which for some reason tasted very yummy, and when we asked further they told us that when it gets warmer they stock Cassels, but it's a strong one so you need to sit in the sun and slowly sip it. Good advice I think. The food there looked very good also".
- The Carlton Arms, Carlton Way, Arbury, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB4 2BY. Tel: (01223) 355717.
- The Devonshire Arms, 1 Devonshire Road, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB1 2BH. Tel: (01223) 316610.
Pickled pig new season porker (6.5% ABV) - Sept 2011.
- The Maypole, 20A Portugal Place, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB5 8AF. Tel: (01223) 352999.
- The Castle Inn, 38 Castle Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB3 0RG. Tel: (01223) 353194.
Clean, light pub serving Aspalls cider. Food includes burgers, steaks etc. Note that this is the Castle on Castle Hill (north of the city centre), not the one on Regent Street.
- The Live and Let Live, 40 Mawson Road, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB1 2EA. Tel: (01223) 460261.
Usually has a Cassels cider on tap, and interestingly the barman told me that recently they had been carrying some special single varieties that Cassels has been trying out. They also has a fizzy Stowford Press and this was good enough for us before we headed back to the station.
- The Mill, 14 Mill Lane, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2 1RX. Tel: (01223) 357026.
Serves Westons Old Rosie and has done for a good few years (at least since 1993!)
- The Empress, 72 Thoday Street (off Mill Road), Cambridge Cambridgeshire, CB1 3AX. Tel: (01223) 247236.
Serves Westons Old Rosie.
- The St. Ragedund, 129 King Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB1 1LD. Tel: (01223) 311794.
On tap all the time Weston's Stowford Press and Weston's Country Perry. Often selling one of Cassel's varieties and also others from the Weston's range..... Being a free house they can sell any cider so call them to stock yours.. A wonderful traditional pub in the heart of Cambridge. Now has four permanent cider/perry pumps, currently Orchard Pig's philosopher, Mr Whiteheads midnight special perry, Westons Traditional Scrumpy, and fiery fox from Gwynt y Ddraig.
- The Red Bull, 11 Barton Road, Newnham, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB3 9JZ. Tel: (01223) 300943.
- The Kingston Arms, 33 Kingston Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB1 2NU. Tel: (01223) 319414.
- University Sports and Social Club, Mill Lane, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2 1RX. Tel: (01223) 566397.
Aspall's on tap for uni staff and students.
Off-licences and other outlets
- The Cambridge Cheese Company, 4 All Saints Passage, cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2 3LS. Tel: (01223) 328672.
In addition to selling some great cheese, they also stock a range of organic cider.
- Cambridge Wine Merchants, various locations in Cambridge.
Image larger pic A small chain of off licenses that sells bottles of Sheppys and Thatchers Single Variety Ciders, and a few Breton and Normandy ciders. I was told by the proprietor that they occasionally stock the local Cassell's cider, but that not enough is produced to sell regularly.
- Bacchanalia, 90 Mill Road, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB1 2BD. Tel: (01223) 315034.
We also found an very interesting independent off license on Mill Road called Bacchanalia. (There's a second branch on Victoria Road.) They sell bottles of local cider and Breton/Normandy ciders. But most interesting is that they sell local Cassels Cider straight from the barrel into 2 or 4 pint containers. We bought a bottle of the only local cider they had on what we were told was a very depleted shelf: Watergull Orchards Dry cider, which tastes like it was brewed from Cox apples to my very untrained tastebuds, with a very acidic, but not unpleasant taste which seems to suit being chilled.
- Rainbow Cafe, 9a Kings Parade, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2 1SJ. Tel: (01223) 321551.
Famous vegetarian cafe with bottles of Organic Dunkerton Cider available. Good meals, their tajine was very nice.
- Prince of Wales Feathers, 38 Peterborough Road, Castor, Cambridgeshire, PE5 7AL. Tel: (01733) 380222.
- Carpenters Arms, 1 North Green, Coates, Cambridgeshire, PE7 2BQ. Tel: (01733) 840565.
- Griffins Country Store, 3 Cups Walk, Forehill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, CB7 4AN. Tel: (01353) 659916.
2.5 litre flagons of Pickled Pig Cider.
- Crown Inn, Elton, Cambridgeshire, PE8 6RQ. Tel: (01832) 280232.
Five star bed and breakfast accommodation situated in the village of Elton, near Peterborough and selling Gregg's Pit Cider in early 2012. Open Tuesday–Sunday noon till 11pm. Monday 5–11pm.
- The Cock, High Street, Cambridgeshire, PE28 9BJ. Tel: (01480) 463609.
Commited to sourcing all produce locally, including local breweries and Cromwell Oliver's Choice Cider.
- The Red Lion, 27 High Street, Histon, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB24 9JD. Tel: (01223) 564437.
- Admiral Wells, 41 Station Road, Holme, Cambridgeshire, PE7 3PH. Tel: (01487) 831214.
Westons Old Rosie usually available on handpump in the summer.
- Oliver Cromwell Hotel, High Street, March, Cambridgeshire, PE15 9LH. Tel: (01354) 602890.
Rather nondescript modern hotel bar, which offers a two ciders and good range of real ales from smaller breweries and up to three ciders, though this may include Industrial ciders from Saxon who use concentrate. Westons Old Rosie and a Saxon 'cider' on 26/03/07.
- Rose and Crown, 41 St. Peter's Road, March, Cambridgeshire, PE15 9NA. Tel: (01354) 656705. Email email@example.com
A free house serving a good selection of real ales, spirits, wines and draught largers. No TV, juke box. Sandwiches behind bar available, also offering two double B&B rooms at £40 per room per night, the cost includes breakfast. Has the benefit of two bars. Has a Large car park and beer garden. Guest ciders/perry (more information required please).
- Rainbow (Co-op) Stores, Godsey Lane, Market Deeping, Cambrigeshire, PE6 8HT. Tel: (01778) 344599.
In addition to the usual Tillington Hills Cider there is a small section of local Anglian produce which includes bottles of Aspalls and perhaps more interestingly Norfolk Cider Company's Diabetically Dry Cider (7.5%).
- The Waggon and Horses (yes, it has 2 Gs in it), 39 High Street, Milton, Cambridgeshire, CB24 6DF. Tel: (01223) 860313.
Cassels on tap, and usually make a cider or two from their own apples for the Beer Festival. "Drunken Horse" uses honey to sweeten the cider, and "One Tree"... well, you can guess. Theirs are hobby ciders rather than particularly commercial ones, variable and improving year by year.
- Queens Head, Fowlmere Road, Newton, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2 5PG. Tel: (01223) 870436.
- The Cherry Tree, 9 - 11 Oundle Road, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE2 9PB. Tel: (01733) 703495.
- Brewery Tap, 80 Westgate, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE1 2AA. Tel: (01733) 358500.
- Charters Bar, Town Bridge, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE1 1FP. Tel/Fax: (01733) 315700.
Dutch barge moored just off the town centre at Town Bridge. Renowned outlet for Oakham Ales and numerous guest beers, plus a guest cider from Westons on handpump (Old Rosie on 15/05/08). Upper deck is the 'East' Oriental Restaurant & Bar.
- The College Arms, 40 The Broadway, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE1 1RS. Tel: (01733) 319745.
- The Draper's Arms, 29 – 31 Cowgate, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE1 1LZ. Tel: (01733) 847570.
- The Palmerston Arms, Oundle Road, Woodston, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE2 9PA. Tel: (01733) 565865.
A small street-corner local dating back 400 years or so. Dispenses up to 12 ales direct from the cask, and normally two real ciders, Belgian bottled beers & a large selection of malt whiskies.
- Coalheavers Arms, 5 Park Street, Woodston, Peterborough, cambridgeshire, PE2 9BH. Tel: (01733) 565664.
Similar to its close neighbour, the Palmerston Arms. The pub offers a choice of eight real ales and one real cider or perry on hand-pump (Cassels, Westons); an extensive selection of Belgian bottled beers and a reasonable selection of malt whiskies.
- The Dykes End, 8 Fair Green, Reach, nr Burwell, Cambridgeshire, CB5 0JD. Tel: (01638) 743816.
A real cider on handpump according to the Winter 2006 edition of the local CAMRA newsletter.
- Browns of Stilton, 4 Church Street, Stilton, Cambridgeshire, PE7 3RF. Tel: (01733) 242486.
Village deli with pretty-much the full range of Perry's bottled ciders, including single varieties in 50cl bottles, and 2 litre jars.
- Oliver Cromwell, 13 Wellington Street, St Ives, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE27 5AZ. Tel: (01480) 465601.
Usually has various draught ciders, recently including Cromwell cider from Fenstanton.
- White Swan, 11 Main Street, Stow-cum-Quy, Cambridgeshire, CB5 9AB. Tel: (01223) 811821.
Aspalls Suffolk cider. Bustling locals' pub.
- Lazy Otter Restaurant & Bar, Cambridge Road, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, CB6 3LU. Tel: (01353) 649780. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Located next to the river Ouse. Local cider from Pickled Pig.
- The Red Lion, 47 High Street, Stretham, Ely, Cambridgeshire, CB6 3LD. Tel: (01353) 648132.
- Five Miles From Anywhere, Upware, Cambridgeshire, CB7 5ZR. Tel: (01353) 721654.
- The Ploughman, 1 Staniland Way, Werrington, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE4 6NA. Tel: (01733) 327696.
mentioned on another mailing list:
- Hand in Heart (occasional) Mainly at Beerfests.
- Peacock (occasional) Mainly at Beerfests.
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|