Cider Pub Guide to Berkshire
The guide to pubs selling Real Cider in Berkshire. 14 entries so far...
- The Bell Inn, Aldworth, Reading, Berkshire, RG8 9SE. Tel: (01635) 578272.
This classic, award-winning village pub is in CAMRA's National Inventory, and sells Upton cider from Oxfordshire.
- The Royal Stag, The Green, Datchet, Berkshire, SL3 9JH. Tel: (01753) 584231.
Addlestones on hand pump. Also stocks bottled kriek and framboise as well as a good range of ales.
- The Lamb, Satwell, Rotherfield Greys, Henley on Thames, Berkshire, RG9 4QZ. Tel: (01491) 628482.
Country gastropub owned by Anthony Worrall Thompson. Luscombe Organic Devon Cider in bottles available. Nice food as well!
- The Monument (Tap and Spile), 57 Northbrook Street, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 1AN. Tel: (01635) 41964.
- The Lord Lyon, Stockcross, Newbury, Berkshire, RG20 8LL. Tel: (01488) 608366.
- Garlands Organic, 6 Reading Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7LY. Tel: (0118) 9844770.
- Back of Beyond, 104–108 Kings Road, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 3BY. Tel: (0118) 9595906.
Aka the "BoB", usually has a range of Weston's ciders & often at least one perry as well as sometimes Thatchers, always Magners and often Kopparberg or St Helier in bottles and the occasional bell jar bottle of Sheppy's and often a box of Old Rosie in the fridge. One of Reading's 3 Wetherspoons, the others being the Monks Retreat & the Hope Tap (see below). A large pub/bar even by most 'spoons standard just out of the city centre on the canal. A large heated patio outside. Gets very busy on a Friday and during the weekend so can take a while to get served otherwise not a bad place for a pint. Often have ciders that the Monks Retreat and the Hope Tap have run out of and take a while to replace (happens quite regularly), so you can usually guarantee they have something.
- Hobgoblin, 2 Broad Street, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 2BH. Tel: (0118) 9508119.
Weston's Herefordshire County Perry on draught, and Old Rosie bag-in-a-box. The pub is covered in proper real ale mats of almost all the ones they have stocked and keep a running tally (in the thousands) as a form of decoration and has a small rabbit warren of tables out back. Usually absolutely packed after 5:30, often until closing. A rare and great 'real pub' in central Reading.
- The Eldon Arms, 19 Eldon Terrace, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 4DX. Tel: (0118) 9573857.
Has a decent Scrumpy cider on tap in the lounge bar. Not far from the Retreat another gem hidden down a backstreet that you wouldn't know was there unless someone told you. Very friendly atmosphere with both a standard and a lounge bar. All in all a nice pub for a pint.
- The Hop Leaf, 163 Southampton Street, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 2QZ. Tel: (0118) 931 4700.
Weston's Old Rosie (and Stowford Press). Outstanding drinkers' pub a short distance south from Reading city centre - cross the Kennet on Bridge Street (at the western end of the Oracle), pass under the dual carriageway, and continue along Southampton Street up the hill. Good drink and good atmosphere, has a slight "used to be a biker pub" atmosphere.
- The Hope Tap, 99 – 105 Friar Street, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 1EP. Tel: (0118) 958 2266.
Standard 'Spoons fare (see Back of Beyond) Usually a good place to drink in the centre of town but gets very crowded in the evening and can take a while to get served. Often have a good selection of ciders in.
- The Monk's Retreat, 163 Friar Street, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 1HE. Tel: (0118) 950 7592.
Wetherspoons with draught Weston's Old Rosie and bottled others (see Back of Beyond). The pub itself does a dogs leg inside so looks much smaller on the outside than it is. Has 2 bars but rarely keeps large amounts of any of the ciders so is often out of stock. Hope Tap or Back of Beyond is usually a safer choice.
- The Retreat, 8 St. John's Street, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 4EH. Tel: (0118) 9571593.
Relaxed, tiny backstreet pub that usually has two draught ciders and one perry on tap in the cellar that change quite regularly. "Standard" proper ciders are Prior's Tipple and Westons Old Rosie but they also keep bottled Bulmer's for the light-hearted. Also Westons Organic and a Norman champagne-corked cider from Bayeux in bottles. Apparently the meeting place for the local bikers' party, but you wouldn't believe it from the look of the pub. Recommended.
- The Rose and Crown, 312 High Street, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 1NB. Tel: (01753) 521114.
- Wickcroft Farm Shop, Pangbourne Road, Theale, Berkshire, RG7 5EA. Tel: (0118) 9305159.
A new venture concentrating on supplying local produce - meat, vegetables, fruit, bread, jams, etc., plus bottled beers from Butts, Rebellion, Old Luxters and Chiltern, and occasionally ciders. Also has a herd of donkeys. Closed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Roy Bailey
- The Bird In Hand, Bath Road, Knowl Hill, Berkshire, RG10 9UP. Tel: (01628) 826748.
Located on the A4 between Maidenhead and Twyford this popular pub has a good reputation for food and has real ales available at all times. Regularly has a guest real cider on through the spring/summer months . May 2008.
Waltham St. Lawrence
- The Bell, Waltham Street, Lawrence, Berkshire, RG10 0JJ. Tel: (0118) 9341788.
Splendid old village pub which, in addition to around 5 real ales, has one or sometimes two real ciders down in the cellar usually Westons also Mr Whiteheads and Salt Hill Cider, also stocking bottled Thatchers in November 2009.
- Horse and Groom, 4 Castle Hill, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1PD. Tel: (01753) 830172.
Old fasioned style pub opposite Windsor Castle owned by the Windsor Pub Co. Unfortunately no real cider on draught, but they do stock Weston's Organic and Thatcher's Katy in bottles. CiderMike 15:04, 31 July 2010 (UTC)
- The Windlesora, 11 William Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1BB. Tel: (01753) 754050.
Small Wetherspoon house down a back street, which serves the usual Weston's bottles and Marcle Hill from bag in box. I was also happy to see Biddenden Bushels Kentish Cider on handpull. CiderMike 09:19, 30 July 2010 (UTC)
- Windsor Trooper, 97 Saint Leonards Road, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1HX. Tel: (01753) 670123.
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|