Cider Pub Guide to Beds Bucks and Herts
This is a list of pubs in the three South East England counties of Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire that offer a traditional cider and/or perry. Outlets for real cider come and go, so if travelling it may be advisable to ring ahead and check these details are correct. After your visit, do please report back any updates to the information presented here by editing the page yourself using the Edit tab at the top.
44 entries so far...
Cider Pubs in Bedfordshire
8 outlets listed, so far...
- The Albion, 36 Dunstable Street, Ampthill, Bedfordshire, MK45 2JT. Tel: 0871 951 100.
Excellent all round pub with two barrels of cider and a perry on the bar (at the far end). I will update when I know what they are. Martin Wallis
- The Tudor Oaks, 1 Taylors Road, Astwick, nr Stotfold, Bedfordshire, SG5 4AZ. Tel. (01462) 834133.
A rare cider and perry outlet in the area. A hotel with restaurant and bar open to non-residents, just by the A1 north of Baldock. Usually has at least one cider and a perry, as well as a range of real ales. Paul Gunningham
Astwick is definitely in Beds, and is listed as such in the GCG, but it's close to the Herts border, just north of Baldock. For some curious reason known only to Royal Mail it comes under the Hitchin postal area rather than the nearer postal town of Letchworth (although that's in Herts too so would still give it a Herts postal address!) Paul Gunningham
- The Wellington Arms, 40 - 42 Wellington Stret, Bedford, Bedfordshire, MK40 2JA. Tel: (01234) 308033.
Award-winning pub, rightly famed for its range of British and continental ales, now has Weston's Old Rosie and perry available. GBG listed. Paul Gunningham
- The Pilgrims Progress, 42 Midland Road, Bedford, Bedfordshire, MK40 1QB. Tel: (01234) 363751.
Typical large and featureless town-centre Wetherspoons (a former furniture showroom) without much to commend it apart from the usual 'Spoons lower than average prices - but it now has draught Old Rosie, and bottled Thatchers Perry and a bottled Westons cider. Paul Gunningham
- The Cricketers (Arms), 35 Goldington Road, Bedford, Bedfordshire, MK40 3LH. Tel: (01234) 303958.
Location opposite Bedford RUFC. Cosy-ish local with fine original oak panelling, now single bar in-line with contemporary (poor) tastes. Addlestones on draught. - James
- The Hobgoblin, 26 - 28 High Street, Bedford, Bedfordshire, MK40 1SP. Tel: (01234) 356391.
Grungy style beat-nicks hang-out serving mainly Wychwood (?) ales but also spotted a cider list on outside chalkboard. Thatchers was mentioned from memory. - James
- The Globe, 43 Winfield St, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, LU6 1LS. Tel. (01582) 512300.
- The Engineers Arms, 68 High Street, Henlow, Bedfordshire, SG16 6AA. Tel: (01462) 812284.
This well-known pub (Beds POTY 2005) now has a real cider (sometimes perry) on offer. Occasional live music and festivals.
- The village of Odell is home to the Harrold Calvados Society and the new cider producer: Eversheds Cider which is served in one or more of the village pubs.
- The Royal George, 8 - 10 Silver Street, Stevington, Bedfordshire, MK43 7QP. Tel. (01234) 822184.
Located near centre of village crossroads 5 mile north west of Bedford. Formerly Charles Wells tied now a Free House, 2-3 real ales plus Stowford Press and Westons Draught (not the cloudy one). Cosy low-ceilinged 18th century local with some games (pool etc..) Well priced hearty food on offer too. James
Cider Pubs in Buckinghamshire
27 outlets listed, so far...
- The Farmers' Bar at the King's Head, Market Square, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP20 2RW. Tel: (01296) 718812.
Beautifully set 15th century pub, owned by the National Trust run by the Chiltern Brewery. Award winning beer & food pub. Cider available is bottled Westons Organic, Henry Weston's bottle fermented cider & Weston's Perry, as well as their industrial draught keg Stowford Press fizzy cider. All food is made freshly on site wonderfully incorporating ciders & ales into as many items as possible. Food served every lunchtime & every evening except Sunday & Monday.
- Hop Pole, 83 Bicester Road, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP19 9AZ. Tel: (01296) 482129.
Newly refurbished by the Vale Brewery and marketed as "Aylesbury's permanent beer festival". Cider is bottled Thatchers (Katy and Old Rascal on June 2006 visit) plus Swanvale draught keg cider. Food every day except Sunday evening.
Beaconsfield - Forty Green
- The Royal Standard of England, Forty Green, Buckinghamshire, HP9 1XT. Tel: (01494) 673382.
- Bell, Bellingdon, Chesham, Buckinghamshire, HP5 2XU. Tel: (01494) 758163.
- The Mitre, 2 Mitre Street, Buckingham, Buckinghamshire, MK18 1DW. Tel: (01280) 813080.
Mon-Fri 5-11.30, Sat 12-11.30, Sun 12-10.30. Sells Biddenden cider from a handpump. Kevin Mak
- King's Head, 7 Market Hill, Buckingham, Buckinghamshire, MK18 1JX. Tel: (01280) 823464.
Sells Westons Old Rosie from a manacube. Kevin Mak
Chalfont St Giles
- Fox & Hounds, Silver Hill, Chalfont St. Giles, Buckinghamshire, HP8 4PS. Tel: (01494) 872151.
Small village pub up a steep side street from the village green well-used by the local community. Westons Old Rosie served. Kevin Mak
- Merlin's Cave, High Street, Chalfont St. Giles, Buckinghamshire, HP8 4QF. Tel: (01494) 875101.
Large pub on the village green with a large sheltered patio with a number of screens showing sporting events. Westons Old Rosie served. Kevin Mak
- Grape and Grain, 84 Broad Street, Chesham, Buckinghamshire, HP5 3ED. Tel: (01494) 692319.
Offie with excellent range of bottled beers and ciders; Weston's Old Rosie on draught (manacube). Colin Mills
- Robin Hood, Church Road, Clifton Reynes, Buckinghamshire, MK46 5DR. Tel: (01234) 711574.
Sells Westons cider on handpump.
- The Harte & Magpies, Coleshill, Buckinghamshire, HP7 0LU. Tel: (01494) 726754.
- Bell & Bear, 12 High St, Emberton, Buckinghamshire, MK46 5DH. Tel: (01234) 711565.
Village Pub and Restaurant focusing on local beer and food producers just off the A509. The 2011 CAMRA Gold Medal Virtual Orchard "Hard Core" at 7% is drawn straight from the barrel in the cellar and is available in 75cl bottle to take away. The pub is currently Virtual Orchard's exclusive outlet. Other ciders include Thatchers and Orchard Pig in bottles.
- The White Horse, Hedgerley, Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, SL2 3UY. Tel: (01753) 643225.
Grid ref: SU 971875. A vibrant, award-winning village free house in a Grade II, 15th century building. There are always several real ales and three real ciders or perry available, with more on offer at the renowned Spring Bank Holiday beer festival. Roy Bailey
- The Belle Vue, 45 Gordon Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP13 6EQ. Tel: (01494) 524728.
- Crown, Ley Hill Common, Chesham, Buckinghamshire, HP5 1UY. Tel: (01494) 783910.
Addlestone's on handpump served to a young clientele with occasional live music. Kevin Mak
- Swan, Ley Hill Common, Chesham, Buckinghamshire, HP5 1UT. Tel: (01494) 783075.
Addlestone's on handpump (not ideal, but better than keg cider). Colin Mills
- Red Lion, Old Vicarage Cottage, Little Missenden, Buckinghamshire, HP7 0QZ. Tel: 01494 862876.
Addlestone's on handpump (not ideal, but better than keg cider). Colin Mills
- Crown Inn, Little Missenden, Buckinghamshire, HP7 0RD. Tel: (01494) 862571.
- Red Lion, 90 Vicarage Road, Marsworth, Buckinghamshire, HP23 4LU. Tel: (01296) 668366.
Open Mon-Fri 11-3, 5-11; Sat 11-3, 6-11; Sun 12-3, 7-10.30. Stocks Weston's Great Western Revival in barrel; Weston's Extra Dry, Medium Dry, Vintage Reserve in bottle. Colin Mills
- Red Lion, 11 Lock View Lane, Simpson Road, Fenny Stratford, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK1 1BA. Tel: (01908) 372317.
Sells Westons Scrumpy on handpump. Close to Stadium:MK. Kevin Mak
- Victoria Inn, Vicarage Road, Bradwell Village, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK13 9AQ. Tel: (01908) 316355.
Open Mon-Sat 11.30-midnight; Sun 12-11. Stocks a draught cider from a polypin on the bar - SUMMER MONTHS ONLY. Kevin Mak
- Wetherspoons, 201 Midsummer Boulevard, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK9 1EA. Tel: (01908) 606074.
Open Sun-Thu 9-midnight; Fri-Sat 9-1am. Stocks Weston's Marcle Hill on handpump. Other JD Wetherspoon pubs in the city include the Lloyds No.1 bar in the Theatre District, the Moon Under Water in Xscape and the Secklow Hundred on Midsummer Boulevard. These pubs may also be selling real cider. Kevin Mak
- Cannon, 50 High Street, Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, MK16 8AQ. Tel: (01908) 211495.
Sells Thatchers cider on gravity - SUMMER MONTHS ONLY. Kevin Mak
- White Hart, 1 Gun Lane, Sherington, Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, MK16 9PE. Tel: (01908) 611953
Sells Westons Old Rosie from a handpump. Kevin Mak
- Lamb, High Street, Stoke Goldington, Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, MK16 8NR. Tel: (01908) 551233.
Mon-Fri 12-3, 5-11, Sat 12-11, Sun 12-8. Sells Westons Old Rosie from a handpump. Kevin Mak
- The Chiltern Brewery, Nash Lee Road, Terrick, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP17 0TQ. Tel: (01296) 613647. E-mail: email@example.com
Buckinghamshire's oldest surviving brewery with a shop that sells an enormous range of beer related foods (try the onions pickled in hopped vinegar!), the brewery's ales on draught and in bottle, and ciders and perries in bottle and flagon from Westons, Sheppys and Lambourn Valley. Roy Bailey
- The Royal Standard, Wooburn Common Road, Wooburn Common, Buckinghamshire, HP10 0JS. Tel: (01628) 521121.
Mr. Whitehead's Heart Of Hampshire available from polycask and guest ciders in summer including Salt Hill Cider as well as a good range of real ales. To find the pub follow brown signs for Odds Farm Park. March 2010.
Cider Pubs in Hertfordshire
17 outlets listed, so far...
Ayot St Lawrence
- The Brocket Arms, Ayot St. Lawrence, Welwyn, Hertfordshire, AL6 9BT. Tel: (01438) 820250.
Old Rosie served on handpump. Remote and idyllic pub, near to Shaw's Corner, the National Trust property where George Bernard Shaw lived. Large walled garden and decent real ale selection for non-cider drinkers. Justin Petty
- The Crown, 145 High Street, Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, HP4 3HH. Tel: (01442) 863993.
Wetherspoon pub on the busy high street serving Westons Old Rosie on manacube plus a variety of bottled ciders and perries. Kevin Mak
- Rising Sun, George Street, Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, HP4 2EG. Tel: (01442) 864913.
Local & Regional CAMRA CIDER PUB OF THE YEAR 2010 with three ciders on handpump served in a canalside pub. and at least 10 other ciders and perries served from the cellar, also a range of british & continental bottled ciders & perries. Also has three beer & cider festivals a year and october is cider month with twenty ciders and perries available.
- The Lordship Arms, 42 Whempstead Road, Benington, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG2 7BX. Tel: (01438) 869665.
Weston's 1st quality. Excellent and well-run country pub, whose landlord takes a genuine pride in the quality of his fine range of real ale and cider. There is always a cider on, and the brand varies. Fairly remote pub, at the opposite end of the village from the well-known local attraction Benington Lordship. Paul Gunningham
- Full House, 128 Marlowes, High Street, Hertfordshire, HP7 0DZ. Tel: (01442) 266512.
On a visit in July 2004, found it stocked Weston's Strong Medium Dry in bottle. Will post update when I get a chance to survey it. Colin Mills
- Land of Liberty, Peace and Plenty, Long Lane, Heronsgate, near Chorleywood, Hertfordshire, WD3 5BS. Tel: (01923) 282226.
- The Old Cross Tavern, 8 St. Andrew Street, Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG14 1JA. Tel: (01992) 583 133.
Pub opened only a few years ago, but you wouldn't know it! Attractive town centre pub offering a real cider and range of ales. Lunches served (not Sundays). GBG listed. Paul Gunningham
- The Old Barge Folly Island, Hertford.
Old Rosie. Website.
- The Sunrunner, Bancroft, Hitchin, Hertfordshire, SG5 1JW. Tel: (01462) 440717.
Popular town-centre pub which can get busy, especially on Wednesday evening when they have live music. Sometimes has more than one cider on. Also has a range of real ales (typically about half a dozen) and they do food as well. Can no longer claim to be the only Hitchin pub serving real cider - see below! Paul Gunningham
- The Half Moon, 57 Queen Street, Hitchin, Hertfordshire, SG4 9TZ. Tel: (01462) 452448.
Voted the Most Improved Pub of the Year 2005 by the local CAMRA branch, and it's easy to see why. Licensees Howard and Wendy are both CAMRA members and have transformed this formerly somewhat dull pub into a magnet for cider and ale drinkers. Now has three or four real ales on handpump, and Weston's Old Rosie cider and Herefordshire Country perry served from polycask or polypin. Good home-produced food served at very reasonable prices. Beer (or Cider!) garden at rear. The pub hosts occasional beer festivals, with cider and perry of course! The Half Moon is next door to the Lord Lister Hotel, at the mini-roundabout junction with Bridge Street. Things seem to be looking up for Herts scrumpophiles! Paul Gunningham
Letchworth Garden City
- Caffeine, Station Road, Letchworth, Hertfordshire, SG6 3BQ. Tel: (01462) 680893.
A licensed coffee bar on the corner of the Arcade and Station Road. "We sell westons ciders at caffeine coffee bar in Letchworth, we currently have 6 different types on offer from Special vintage and old rosie scrumpy, to cider and lemongrass all by the bottle". Was also the venue for a Folk Club, although this has now moved to a venue in Baldock.
- The Lytton Arms, Park Lane, Old Knebworth, Hertfordshire, SG3 6QB. Tel: (01438) 812312.
Perennially popular pub with a wide range of real ale, and usually a few different ciders available at any one time, generally Biddenden Bushels or Dry and Moles Black Rat. Worth seeking out if you are in the area - an ideal place to visit after a walk around Knebworth Park. A 20-minute walk from Knebworth station. Paul Gunningham
- The Red Lion, The Green, Preston, near Hitchin, Hertfordshire, SG4 7UD. Tel: (01462) 459585.
Deservedly popular and award-winning village local, in idyllic setting, and current (2005) CAMRA Pub of the Year for the area. Has draught Newton's (Newton Court) Herefordshire cider (straight from the cellar), as well as an ever-changing range of about 4 or 5 real ales. Experienced landlord Tim keeps all his ales and cider in superb condition. The food is excellent too, and there's a lovely garden for outside drinking - a proper one unspoilt by kiddies' playground paraphernalia, although there's plenty of room away from the tables for the young 'uns to romp around in safety, without annoying the adults! Paul Gunningham Update 31-07-2005: Sadly there was no cider there today, but I was told it had temporarily run out and new supplies would be in soon. Bad news for me on the day, but good news for the viability of cider sales in this area! Paul Gunningham
See Heronsgate entry above: Heronsgate is in the outskirts of Rickmansworth.
St Paul's Walden
- The Strathmore Arms, Whitwell Road, St Paul's Walden, Nr. Hitchin, Hertfordshire, SG4 8BT. Tel: (01438) 871654.
Located on the western side of the B651 north of Whitwell. A pub which has been revolutionised since being taken over by the present landlord Danny. Now serving a range of real ales and cider (but possibly cider in the summer only). Hosts occasional beer festivals. Food available lunchtimes (except Mondays) and some evenings - booking advised. Paul Gunningham 6/11/2005: They had Orchards Perry today, but no cider.
- Goat Inn, 37 Sopwell Lane, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL1 1RN. Tel: (01727) 833934.
- The Six Bells 16 St. Michaels Street, St. Albans, AL3 4SH
Sometimes has a guest real cider. Beware of staff claiming Addlestones counts as such. Pricy gourmet food.
- Our Mutual Friend, Broadwater Crescent, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG2 8EH. Tel: (01438) 312282.
Pub given a new lease of life a few years ago when it was taken over by a small group of ale and cider enthusiasts. Now has real cider (ever changing range) and a range of real ales. Food available. GBG listed. Paul Gunningham May 2009: 5 Ciders or Perrys available from the cellar including a Rum Cider(!). For Non league football enthusiasts, this is the closest pub to Conference side Stevenage Borough F.C. (5 mins walk). Stuart Clarke
- King's Arms, King Street, Tring, Hertfordshire, HP23 6BE. Tel: (01442) 823818.
- Chequers Inn 16 London Road, Woolmer Green, Knebworth, Hertfordshire, SG3 6JP. Tel: (01438) 813216.
Old Rosie is permanently on now.
Pubs Delisted from the Cider Pub Guide to Beds Bucks and Herts
- Berkhamsted Town FC, Broadwater, Lower Kings Road, Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, HP4 2AA. Tel: (01442) 862815.
The bar at Berkhamsted Town FC's ground served Thatchers Gold last time I visited in August 2004. Not sure of opening hours though, phone for more info. Website links direct to directions and map page, near Berkhamsted BR Station Russell Cox. Unfortunatly Thatchers Gold is an Industrial Cider.
- Cook's Delight, 360 - 364 High Street, Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, HP4 1HU. Tel: (01442) 863584.
Delisted as the pub is now closed.
- The Plough, Plough Lane, Potten End, Hertfordshire, HP4 2QS. Tel: (01442) 865391 or (01442) 876409.
Delisted as the pub closed in March 2010.
- Eagle, High Street, Old Amersham, Buckinghamshire, HP7 0DY. Tel: (01494) 725262.
Only sells Addlestones, therefor delisted. Colin Mills
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|
|Cider Pub Guide index|
Beds Bucks & Herts, Berkshire, Bristol, Cambridgeshire, Cheshire, Cornwall, Derbyshire, Devon, Dorset, Durham, Essex, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Herefordshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Lake District, Lancashire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, London, Manchester, Merseyside, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Northumberland, Nottinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Rutland, Shropshire, Somerset, Staffordshire, Suffolk, Surrey, Sussex, Tyne and Wear, Warwickshire, West Midlands, Wiltshire, Worcester, Yorkshire * North Wales, Mid Wales, West Wales, South Wales * Scotland * N Ireland * Channel Islands