Barbourne is the name of a producer of real ciders and perries based in Worcester, Worcestershire.
Barbourne ciders are made from a mixture of bittersweet, bittersharp and sharp apples which are grown in standard and half standard orchards in Worcestershire which contain some of the oldest varieties of cider apples. They press Foxwhelp with Bulmers Norman, Redstreak and Major with Browns Apple and Harry Masters Jersey with Browns Apple early in the season. Later, other varieties ripen such as Lavignee, Brown Snout, White Norman and Kingston Black. The Kingston Black is fermented on its own and bottle conditioned later as a single varietal cider. By mid-November Dabinet, Yarlington Mill, Ashton Brown Jersey and finally Vilberie are picked and pressed.
After fermentation on wild yeasts, the barrels are racked and by late Spring certain blends and single varieties are selected for bottling and competitions such as Putley's Big Apple contest and The Three Counties Competition.
In addition to cider, Barbourne also produce bottled and draught perry. All of the perry pears used are handpicked from standard orchards in Worcestershire. When the perry is ready, much of it is bottled as Single variety Blakeney Red Perry (Still and Meduim Sweet), Bottle Conditioned Worcestershire Perry (naturally sparkling dry perry) or Sweet Worcestershire Perry (still). The remainder is sold as as draught to loyal customers.
Barbourne draught ciders and perries can be purchased directly in 5 gallon poly casks (40 pints), 20 or 10 litre bag-in-boxes (35 pints and 17.5 pints respectively).
Bottled cider and perry is available in cases of 12 x 50cl bottles. There is also bottle conditioned Worcestershire Cider & Perry, Sweet Worcestershire Cider and Kingston Black Cider, but check for availability.
You can also find Barbourne products at the following outlets...
- The Plough, Deansway, Worcester - Draught Cider & Perry
- The Firefly, Lowesmore, Worcester - Draught Cider
- The Cricketers, Angel Street, Worcester - Draught Cider
- Gwilliams Farmshop, Claines, Worcester - Bottled Cider & Perry
- The Fold at Bransford - Bottled Cider & Perry
- The Little Ginger Pig Cafe and Bistro, Copenhagen Street, Worcester- Bottled Cider & Perry
- The Wellington, Bennets Hill, Birmingham - Draught Cider and Draught Perry
- Tipplers Off Licence, Load St, Bewdley - Bottled Cider & Perry
- Worcester Wines, Bromwich Road, Worcester - Bottled Cider
- Address: 19 York Place, Worcester, WR1 3DR.
- Tel: (01905) 27151.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org